Monday, March 07, 2005

My Quest

It seems that the list of repairs on the van have finally exceeded its worth.
As I have blogged before – I love my Quest... but I am ready to accept that it’s over… its time to let go, its time to move on, its time... for a change
…but not a good time as far as our fiscal planning is concerned.
The plan was to replace the van in two more years. That was our plan, it’s a good plan, it’s a financially sound plan.
This was not in the plan.
I am all about planning.

So I would need to be frugal, wise and conservative in my car selection.
I called my trusted mechanic for some sage advice.
He suggested the LeSabre.

Ok now, I have nothing against mid-size American family sedans…really, I don’t.
But look at me…trendy (stop laughing), middle-aged, lesbian… in a LeSabre.
Ooo, I shudder at the thought.
I know, I know – I am not in a position to be picky.

My trusted mechanic also recommended a car dealer right down the street from where I work, he said they may have a used Altima or Accord.
Ok, I can do an Altima, I can do an Accord – I could even do a Sentra – affordable, good on gas, sensible – yeah, I can do that. I am so centered and self confident – I can drive a Sentra and make it look cool.

That very day I took my lunch hour and went to the dealer.
I pull in the lot and what is the first car I see?
While test driving it I sold it to myself.
My wife is so supportive.
I called her from the dealer and told her I basically just bought the first car I laid eyes on.
She laughed.
She loves me.

Mid-life crises ?

No comments: