Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday

tip-o-day

The main entry to our house is through our kitchen door. We are casual that way.

There -- we have a long, deep covered porch. This is also the north side of the house and so there is not a ray of sunshine. We have a small table by the door which I made out of recovered barn wood. Since we sit out there frequently in the evenings, we keep an array of odd candles and some punks to help deter mosquitoes.

To add summery-ness, I like to keep some plants on this table as well -but have struggled over the years to find something that would survive the deep shade.
I have a fern there this year - which is loving the darkness. But I still yearned for summer color.

So I am trying something new. I planted two clay pots with sun lovin' marigolds. I keep one by the door ... in the dark, and the other at the end of the walk in the sunshine. Every week or so - I switch them.

I may try 3 next year...clay pots are cheap enough, and marigold seeds are free. That way each plant should get loads of sun-time.

No comments: