Friday, February 10, 2006

Let the Games begin

Will you be watching the Opening Ceremonies tonight?
We are… and we are very excited about it.

As a child my mother instilled in me a love for the Olympic Games. We watched as a family and cheered for everyone. She taught us to appreciate what the games stood for and how young athletes from around the world would come together in peace, often times in contrast to the political strife of the countries that sent them.

Now, my wife and I really enjoy the Olympics, especially the Winter Games, and have been watching them together since Sarajevo in '84. I don't really remember watching the opening ceremonies much until one year when our daughter was maybe 10 or 11. She came home from school that day and said she had to watch the ENTIRE Opening Ceremonies and then write a report. So we all sat down and watched them together. So many countries...so many athletes - the thing went on for ever... Our daughter found it excruciated. Which we thought was very funny.
I personally, was very moved by it.

So ever since, we have made it a point of watching the opening ceremonies and making a big deal of it. Despite repeated invitations, I believe my excited wife and I will be watching them alone tonight. (Daughter...the invite is still open...8:00 pm - broadcast in HiDef!)

And so, to fulfill my Friday tip-o-day obligations –
Get out a globe tonight while you watch the ceremonies. If you have children you can make games of finding the countries as the athletes parade into the stadium, (note: you may need to buy a new up-to-date globe …) perhaps discuss what life is like in those far away foreign lands.
If you don’t have children – then really...the whole spinning globe and athletes from un-heard-of countries is just screaming for a drinking game.

Either way – enjoy the games. Let the message of peace and friendly competition enrich our days for the next two weeks.

No comments: