Tuesday, May 02, 2006

writingwomyn april collaboration

april 2006 assignment (a little late…oops)
it's springtime. what do you like best about this time of year? include pictures if you like.



Can you find my lovely wife and The Daughter in this picture? (click to expand).
I will give you a hint… the photo is taken from out beyond the fence (yes...the fence for the FREE dog) in the backyard looking toward the house, the building you see is the back of our garage, the house sits a couple hundred feet past that and to the left (its obscured by trees from this angle). See them now?
I noticed this view while I was cutting the grass over the weekend. This speaks Spring to me.
I have mentioned before how much peace it brings to me to have lived in the same spot for 20 years. It is because of this that I know this picture is late April.
Of course there is the obvious… clearly the trees have not fully leafed out yet, and the grass has that wonderful vibrant green that the winter nitrogen (and buckets of Scott’s products) have brought to the lawn. But I also know that my wife and daughter are sitting in that specific location as to soak up the last rays of the spring sun for the afternoon.
I know that they are sitting on chairs that have been hastily dragged out, because the table and patio umbrella have not yet made it out of winter storage. The angle of the light also tells me this is a spring afternoon. There would be similar shadows on a warm summer evening but the angle is more north than it would be later in the season. The long shadows will change as the summer sun takes a higher path over our house. The color of the light is different too. I know this from way back here, I would know it if I were sitting with my wife and daughter chatting away the last hour of sun, I would know it if I were gazing out the kitchen window while washing a dish.
I revel in knowing this.
I can also tell from this view that is nearly time for dinner.
Which of course immediately makes me hungry.
I am happy.
I like spring.



No comments: