Wednesday, May 31, 2006

writingwomyn may collaboration

may 2006 assignment
What is your biggest fear (rational or irrational)? Describe it in detail: how does it start and manifest? Are other people aware of it? If there's a technical name for your phobia, give it. If not, make one up!


Have no fear.
Ha.
Well I am afraid of heights. That's pretty straight forward - high places frighten me. Acrophobia. Eh, big deal.

So what - did you want an irrational fear, perhaps a more interesting fear?
Oh.
OK.
Welp - its...

Water.
But no...it's not that simple.
I am not afraid of swimming or drowning or sharks in the water- not that kind of fear of water.
Its actually... using water. Yeah. Running water - out of the tap.
Into the drains, out into the septic, out into sewers, out to where ever it goes.

I suppose, hmm, I am afraid of running out? I am not really sure.

But I am afraid of people using too much water. This actually scares me. I mean really... I get moments of panic.

Like while showering, I think of all the people showering. Imagine an apartment building in Manhattan, may be 50 stories tall - how many people are showering, or flushing or brushing or running the dishwasher...
O...M...G... that is sooo much water. Just running.

It scares the crap out of me.
Go figure.

There, so now you know.



the fear of running water is Potamophobia. altho this doesn't capture the essence of my particular twist on this phobia.

No comments: