Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's in the driveway


I originally planned to make you all read my long and drawn out requirements process and it's eventual conclusion before revealing my final selection.

But I am feeling generous today.


I went with the Civic.

This car handily met my requirements by having the highest MPG (save the hybrid genre... but we'll get to that later), being affordable, easily holding the best resale value, with winning reliability.
As a bonus I also have an Ipod connection in my center console and a handy cup holder.
I did forgo the heated seats and remote start. This was in the best interest of meeting my second most important requirement, affordability.
I am ok with this because I know my svelte wife's seat will be toasty, as she is going to start driving the Cabrio. Heated seats are oh so important when taking the top down a little too early in the season.



Several of you suggested Hybrids.
Thank you.
But no.
The increased cost of a hybrid amortized out over several years still well exceeds any savings seen by using less gas.
Not to mention - you may have missed the subtleties of my first point which implied much highway driving. This means that a hybrid would be running mostly on gas anyway. The other problem I have with them is all those batteries overflowing landfills in 5 years. So as far as an environmentally sound mode of transportation - I am going to hold out until they think of something better.

I also notice that many models suggested well exceeded the price of the Civic. I could have gotten the Nav/Bluetooth system as well as leather for less than some of the cars suggested.

Plus... its cute. At least on my cuteness scale. Which of course the only scale I go by.

My ride into work this morning was sublime.

16 comments:

DawgDyke said...

Nice ride :)
Excellent selection.

sageweb said...

Very cute...I guess the rolls royce was too ugly.

weese said...

actually Sage.. I couldn't find a local Royce dealer to even get a test drive. I do so love to do complete and thorough research.

KMae said...

If it makes you happy, I say yea!

eb said...

Good choice. We have one of those. It's going to have a knitting Buddha on it soon.

Anonymous said...

Nice! Congrats and happy miles!

Of course I think you should try a drive up this way, to check it out on the roads in this part of the state, of course. :)

Zoe said...

Very nice. Love the color.

chapin said...

Good choice...can't go wrong with one of those.

Val said...

Nice... drive on by and I'll do that Italian custom of throwing coins in the back seat, k?!!

Happy driving!

clammy said...

Congrats on the new wheels. So, you didn't trade the Cabrio? Nice. you'll still be able to experience the wind on your face now and then.

Anonymous said...

Noice!

Anonymous said...

sweet! Those are great cars. Happy trails!

Jen said...

Ohhhh nice ride!

Anonymous said...

seriously good choice.

it is cute and meets many of the other requirements.

and, from experience, they cost less to maintain than some of the other options.

mazel tov and send some of that "new car smell" my way...my Honda van has that "not so fresh smell" after a wet dog got into it yesterday!

Trop said...

Congrats on your new car. I hope you get many miles of enjoyment from her. Have you named her yet?

LostInColor said...

awesome new car, perfect choice.