Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's that time again

I bought my last car on my lunch hour... this was not a normal weese-like behaviour. I am pretty sure it was some sort of mid-life crisis. Actually, now that I think of it - buying a 'used' car as a mid-life crisis is rather weese-y. It's all that crazyness tempered by a resonable price point.

This time however, I am considering a 'more recently assembled' car. And so it's taking longer. When I say longer I sorta mean l.o..n...g....e.....r.
I am not one to make spur of the moment decisions, I generally leave that to my spontaneous wife. At times, it seems, I am not one to be able to decide anything at all. I wonder if this has to do with sticker price... sounds like I may need to do some further research on my personal price breaking point. That dollar limit where I everything becomes fuzzy and I can't think.

And so I have been researching and driving and researching and downloading spreadsheets and making up my mind and changing my mind and then driving more cars often more than once and then coming home exhausted and downloading more spreadsheets.

Frankly, even I am getting sick of myself (this is where I mention again what a saint my patient wife is... and where she implores me to get someone to prescribe me some paxil).

I feel a decision coming on people...
Beware.

12 comments:

Deb Heller said...

Okay, we need pictures. Lots of pictures, when you have made the Final Decision. Will it be a sporty car? Or a roomy SUV? I can't wait!

Martini Cartwheels said...

Good for you. I'm curious to see what you decide.

Val said...

no hints... no nuttin? man, weese, the tease!

Anonymous said...

A replacement car, especially a more recently assembled one, definitely requires a lot of careful decision making. It's a large chunk of change to plunk down. For me it's always a battle between fun, utility, and price. For me, I find the one I like the most, then ask myself if I can afford it. If you can, then it's worth it, because you're going to be stuck with it for years.

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest a pink convertible Bug or MiniCooper?

Anonymous said...

we used carsdirect dot com when we bought "the Fran van", named after my grandmother who passed away and left us a little money.

did a LOT of research there.

decided exactly what we wanted.

ordered it.

had a few calls back and forth about paperwork and confirming our exact request. Faxed in ins papers and license info. Put a deposit down.

Had about 5 minutes of "sales job"---don't you want a lojak, extended, extended warranty and a few other add ons. I let the guy yap on a bit, then told him yes to one thing, no to the others. EASY PEASY really. I can stand 5 minutes of sales. As opposed to the 1/2 dozen car dealers we tried to test drive cars at who just p!ssed us off.

Anyway, a few days after the "sales pitch call" got a call from a local dealer who would deliver the vehicle to us when it was convenient to us.

They showed up at sweeties work, we gave them a check, showed the paperwork, we got the keys and bingo. Done!

Nope, don't work for them or get a kick back, just willing to share a *good* experience buying a car.

And, soooo glad you didn't get the LaSabre last time. Yes, pictures!

j said...

Hey - Being as I sell them for a living, let me know if you have any questions, I'm pretty "up" on most brands, and can give you a real view on what you should be paying for it, and the insider "reputation" piece if you've got any questions.

LostInColor said...

I wish I could have spent more time researching before purchasing the car I had. I was rushed tho, since I was totally w/o car. And being single it makes it tough. I still do not feel good about my decision because I wasn't able to spend the time I wanted doing the legwork. Still hoping in the end my choice was decent.

sageweb said...

I love it you are going to help the economy. Buying anything right now helps somebody somewhere.

Jen said...

What will it be? Have you decided? Will it be new or newish? Our list is topped with 2004-2006 Scion xA's, before they put in the larger engine and when the gas mileage was still above 40 mpg. But then again, 2006 seems brand spankin' new compared to our current 1988 dinosaur.

Photos will be a must!

Anonymous said...

I have a 2005 VW Beetle and a 1974 VW Kombi. I traded my 2002 VW Golf for the Beetle and knew what changeover I wanted and stuck to it. The Kombi was a more long term buy because you don't want to buy a 35 year old lemon!

eb said...

Seems like yesterday you got your Cabrio. Has it really been four years?

I think you should get a Buick. All the cool old people drive one of those.