Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Tending the flock

There are so many of them now. We have become security, nursemaids and a search and rescue team for our flock.
Last week, on my way out to the garage, I saw one of them stuck up in the attic above the car park. There is a stationary window to a low attic up there - and this silly feathered fool was repeatedly flying into it, attempting to escape. My clever wife went in first and tossed a blanket over him, I donned gloves and we carried him to safety.

This morning - I came downstairs and my wife tells me we have another event. Apparently a baby had fallen from its nest. There were parents and aunts and uncles squawking all over the place. The problem for these poor creatures is they can't pick up and carry their young. So there’s the little guy calling out for help and his whole family is just flying around.
The FREE dog was very interested in the problem at hand – however, the family of the orphan was not happy for her interest. Every time she came any where near the infant there was a whole lot of ruckus. Interestingly, when either my wife or I approached the little guy – there was silence. Because of course – we are the law.
And so this is our lot.

No comments: