Monday, July 18, 2005

Pause

I saw a squirrel get hit on the road this morning on my way into work.
It happened right in front of me - it seemed to happen in slow motion. The car never slowed - I suppose most people don't for something so lowly as a squirrel. How indifferent we have become. This is one of many things that bothers me about this world.
I was far enough back to see clearly under the car, the squirrel rolled and flipped under there as the car passed over. I slowed while the squirrel recovered enough to limp off the road where he** rested on the edge of the curb. I came to a slow stop, all I could see for sure was his back leg was badly injured. I stupidly wanted to go to him. I knew that was pointless. I knew if I approached he would be forced to try to run away - and clearly he needed to rest. And even if he didn't - then what. Put him out of his misery? Take him home to care for him? I continued my drive in to the office. I wondered whether he would live. I wondered whether another squirrel would comfort him. I was shaken... and sad.
I am not indifferent to this small rodent. He mattered to me. I hope that my caring energy can help him in some small way.

**(he) I decided the squirrel was male instantly, and only later determined this was probably because: a female squirrel would not have been silly enough to run out into traffic - and if she did... and got hit, she probably would not have the courage, strength and stamina to get off the road to safety.

No comments: