Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Aviary

We were enjoying a FABulous flounder dinner out on the patio on Monday evening.
The sun was shining, not a cloud – and it was cool and comfortable. (with the exception of the caterpillar droppings…which I will get to in another entry)
I noticed the FREE dog slinking by, heading out into the yard. She was practically tip toeing… so it caught my attention. I noticed she was carrying something in her mouth…and knew right away.

I stood up immediately and sternly demanded, “Drop the bird!”

She obeyed immediately - setting the baby bird gently down into the grass and skulking off. This dog has the gentlest mouth. I have seen her pick up an insect and carry it to her rug and set it down without harm – to play with it I suppose. I can only assume this was her plan for the baby bird.
We weren’t completely surprised - we had actually heard it shrieking earlier…and figured we had another baby dropped out of a nest – we just couldn’t find the little guy.
The FREE dog heard it as well, and apparently kept on with the search long after we lost interest.

The bird seemed fine…except, as with the other one – not quite ready to fly.
We gave him a little water – to help him get his strength back. He seemed to enjoy it.

I set him on the ‘other’ side of the fence. We are hoping his family found him there.

Just another day at the aviary.

No comments: