Thursday, September 29, 2005

bit of a storm blowin' in

If you read me at all – you know I am a bit of a homebody, and I have alluded several times to my RainMan like tendencies…
Today, right now, while I am at work, there is a storm blowing in. I love the whole ‘storm blowing in’ thing, for those shell shocked out there… I don’t mean a Katrina-type storm – just your run of the mill, gonna be rainy and windy, probably a good idea to take in the lawn chairs sorta storm.

I just got back from a walk and it was fantastic. The wind is warm and strong, strong enough where you tend to lean into it a bit, there is a drop every once in a while and the sky is alive with motion The real rain has not started yet – but is imminent. This is really the best part.

The RainMan part is … well, I like to be home when a storm is coming. This is not fear. It’s a desire. I enjoy storms and like to be home when they come. I am familiar with their trek across our sky there. My brave wife and I will often sit on the covered porch (not screened Suzanne), which faces in the direction of most incoming weather. For us, most weather approaches us from the west-northwest. My wife is brave because if lighting strikes too close I scurry inside, while she remains out there laughing in the face of danger (we have seen this behavior before in her)
As I said… I like to be home in a storm. And I mean ‘like to’ in the strongest sense of the word that is just shy of ‘need to’.
So while I do love a storm, and as I type I can hear that the strong rains have come, I will be a little tense this afternoon, a little uneasy, a little out of step… just until I get home.

No comments: