Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Do you read?

What a silly question isn’t it? Of course you do, you are now. Whenever I am asked that question I usually answer “Not really.”
Most of the reading I do is to gather information. News magazines, manuals, How To books and papers…etc. Of course being a reformed news junkie – my reading material is not much to speak of.

So we are trying something new.
Turn off the TV.
I know, I know… this is no revelation, and I am not saying to stop watching television (yet). But we have decided to watch it…when there is something on we want to see. No more channel surfing until an ‘acceptable’ show is found. No more watching 2 or 3 shows because none of them are really very good.

And so – now we are reading. I am actually reading books… just for pleasure. They are not teaching me anything or spawning new DIY projects either (the plus part of that is I don’t need to go buy new tools as a result… how can you help it reading the handyman type rags).

I am a discerning reader, and will put down books that are not written well (according to my own twisted standards) that said – I have to admit, that right now I am hooked on vintage Lesbian Pulp Fiction novels from the 50’s. We saw a documentary on them and decided to pick up a bunch, as a joke, to bring on our PTown vacation this summer (what is better than smut on the beach). But now…I am hooked. They are just horrible really, and yet I cannot stop reading them. Might I recommend the Ann Bannon series – it’s a hoot.

No comments: