Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas shopping

We do very little holiday shopping. In our family we give holiday gifts only to children. We have long since stopped trying to find the ‘perfect’ gift for friends and relatives so that they in turn will find the ‘perfect’ gift for us. The perfect gifts are given accompanied by gift receipts so that the perfect gift may be returned or exchanged. It all basically comes down to shopping for yourself for the perfect gift.
I hope you wanted to shop.
Hmm, can you feel the love?

Putting the shopping aside – Christmas is a religious holiday. Yup, not kidding – remember the crèche.
I am not a religious person. (altho my angelic wife will tell you I am spiritual). I am Italian…that makes me Catholic by default, or at least …Christian by descent.
Let’s just say I am not a practicing Christian, in that I don’t attend church on Easter and Christmas (which are evidently the minimum requirements for belonging).
But I do know the stories, and I sing the carols (because I like to sing – even tho those around me wish I didn’t). I know that Christmas is about the birth of Christ. (atlho..yes technically he was born closer to February and the date was moved to better coincide with the end of the planting season… but hey – we move all kinds of holidays to Mondays to coincide with weekends…so really what’s in a day). Ok ..back to the birth thing… If you are a Christian – then you see Christ as your Savior…yes? Ok then – the concept of a scarf for Aunt Mary or a Chia pet for Cousin Ned on Christ’s birthday eludes me. (ah..Chia pet – got you thinking now don’t I). ‘Christian’ defined means a follower of Christ, however we have come to know a more colloquial definition for the term Christian – to be kind and good hearted and welcoming to all. True – this may not be practiced, but it is an accepted and common use of the word.
So Christmas being the BIG Christian Holiday – let’s be Christian …
Be kind – stop yelling at each other in the mall. Be good hearted – give to those in need (which is probably not your cousin Earl). Be accepting – love someone this year that you thought you couldn’t.
If you have extra money this holiday – why buy a pear-shaped-trivet that will likely be hidden for a year before its tossed – give your money to someone who needs money. (I have happily listed some links for you to visit below). If you don’t have any money… then you shouldn’t be out shopping anyway. Go to a shelter. Help them serve a meal, help them take out the trash, play a game of checkers with a kid. Walk a dog at the pound. Shovel your neighbors walk. That’s free. That’s Christian.
Merry Christmas.

No comments: