Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Our Free Dog

Last year I told the long and sordid tale of a puppy we acquired at our local pound for free, and how she actually ended up costing us thousands of dollars over the first couple years of her life. I often refer to her as our ‘special needs’ dog, as she has traits that can make her hard to handle in certain situations.
Lately tho, my thoughtful wife has been gently trying to help me see the Free dog for what she really is. A very well behaved good friend.

So let me just take a moment to expound on her finer qualities, and to say right here…in writing… officially – that despite the shedding, the occasionally foul odor, and ruined hardwood floors – that I am really quite fond of her.
It occurred to me this morning as I walked out for work – that she really is an amazing dog, or as the daughter calls her our ‘angel puppy’.
For example, what prompted this whole train of thought:
My handy wife has removed the doors to our snack pantry to paint them. This pantry is basically a lower cabinet; chock full of tasty snacks such as crackers, nuts, raisins, and other yummy treats. The doors have been off for three days. The food is untouched.

Our free dog has the run of the house when we are away at work each day. There are times when she may be alone for up to 8 hours.
She has never slept on the furniture…any furniture.
The one time she had an accident the house – she was ill, and went up to the bathroom to do it.

When she wants to go out – she will sit and stare at the door and wait. When she wants to come in she will bark once and sit and wait on the other side of the door.

She sits quietly in the back seat of the car – even with the top down on my convertible.
(well, we do hold the leash in case we pass a dog… that would be just too much to ask).

She heels on her leash. While we do need to have tactical measures when passing other dogs – she calmly passes screaming children, loud teens, runners and cyclists.

I once told her she needed to go around the flower garden instead of through it, making a circling motion with my arm, explaining myself in plain english. Imagine if you will how ridiculous we looked, me talking to her … gesturing and she looking intently with her head cocked, and one ear perked up. And then…. she went around.

And finally, every day - whether waking in the morning or coming home in the evening, I can expect a greeting of pure joy, pure happiness, pure love – no matter what, no matter when.

Merry Christmas Free Dog.

No comments: