Tuesday, May 26, 2009

reflections

Over the many years we have lived here we've been giving more and more of our large suburban lot back to "The Nature". Our deep backyard is now overgrown in stages. It spans from a young forest farthest from the house to a blooming meadow in the latest section we are naturalizing - ie. not cutting anymore.

As I was out on the tractor over the weekend I noticed a large gopher hole in this newly overgrown swath of lawn.
Of course... I worried a little. Holes like that can be dangerous.
Then, I remember we had an old reflector on a post in the garage and so I installed it at the site of the gopher hole.

I was very pleased with myself.

The next morning my nature-loving wife and I were sitting on the patio enjoying a cup of coffee.
I proudly pointed out my ingenuity.

weese: "Look...waay out there in the back yard. Look what I installed to protect the wildlife."
my curious wife: "Yes... I thought I noticed something out there."
weese: "See, now the deer won't break their little legs romping around back there."
my wiseguy wife: "Yeah, because deer have headlights."

hmm.

6 comments:

LilliGirl said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha

I'm with your wife on that one. lol

Thanks for the smile.

Anonymous said...

Snickering!

Anonymous said...

heee

e said...

I love the sentiment that protects the deer's legs and lets a meadow return to its native state...even if your wife chuckles at your method.

Syd said...

Took the wind right out your sails, didn't it? LOL

Trish said...

ohhh dear...you married her, willingly, as I recall! ;-)

now if *I* could only stop laughing...tee-hee!