Friday, May 01, 2009

Friday

tip-o-day

Remember that book someone wrote a while back about how we learned pretty much everything we needed to know in kindergarten.

Sometimes its just a matter of applying the knowledge.

Do you remember pencil rubbings? You know... where you take a sheet of paper and lay it over something that's textured. Then you hold your pencil flat and rub it across the page. The shading then picks up the texture onto your page. I remember running all over the school grounds to find interesting things to rub-- trees, rocks, the engraved sign on the entrance...

Well that same principal works great when you need to make a template to mount something to the wall.

I used this method in my home office to mount modems and power strips to a peg board tucked behind the chimney.

I just flipped over each device, lay a sheet of paper on it, and rubbed with my pencil over the mounting holes. Then I just lightly taped the sheet to the wall and drilled a small pilot hole directly through the paper.
After putting in the screws each device fit like a charm.

6 comments:

KMae said...

What a smartypants!
You get an A+ .
Very cool.
And looks great!

Anonymous said...

Why do I suspect that you were the kid in class that always had the perfectly clean and tidy desk, sharpened her crayons perfectly, and didn't dare color outside the lines... but was still the playground rebel? :)

Martini Cartwheels said...

Very clever! I would never think of something like that. I would just drill 25 holes until one matched. Great tip!

otter said...

you are the sly one aren't you?

e said...

Great suggestion! Thanks!

LostInColor said...

Think I saw that on Ask this old house...