Monday, February 07, 2005

Feelin’ the burn

Wasn’t it Jane Fonda who had the very first workout tapes?
I had one of them…and she would continually ask me during our workout “Can you feel it?”
Yes, damnit, Jane – I felt it.
I am beginning to realize that if I really want to lose this last 5 pounds, I may need to actually exercise. While I am a firm believer in my tried and true starvation diet – this last 5 pounds may require more hunger than I can stand.
I don’t think I can avoid it any more. I simply must exercise.

Let’s discuss how I feel about exercise. Couple of words come to mind very quickly…loathe, abhor, avoid.
Ok, more specifically – I really dislike expending energy over a period of time where there is no tangible result. I know, I know…my health, firmer muscles, weight loss – those are results. But if I am going to work that hard at something for an hour or more – I would like to see something for it – like a tidy garden bed, or a new shed or even gleaming floors.
Hey, I am no weakling and am not afraid of hard work. I beg you to find many 40+ women who can hang sheetrock…. alone; or purchase, load, unload, cut to size, carry and hang 3’ x 5’ cement board … (try holding one of those on the wall, placing the screw and finagling the drill up to the screw head, without dropping the whole thing on your toes…all by yourself). My rather lithe and fit wife and I do many heavy manual labor projects around the house and yard. We rake a forest of leaves together each fall, we demolish and remodel entire rooms, and will be laying a new flag stone patio this spring ourselves.

But exercise… well that’s another matter completely. Take running for example. You get all dressing in your fancy, fitted ‘running’ outfit – then you run, fast as you can, turn around and come back. Where have you gone? It would make sense to me to run to the store, buy something and then run home. But to just run around in circles… for what. Now our daughter is a runner. She seems to get something out of it. Me…not so much. I need a purpose.
Lifting weights is the same.. it’s like picking up something heavy for no good reason. Now if you needed to move some heavy objects around to say…clear a path, or build a wall – well that makes sense.
But really …what am I saying here. What is my point?
Nothing.
I am just procrastinating.
I need to exercise.

No comments: