Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Slowing down

I have turned a corner.
It actually happened a long time ago. I suppose I knew… I just never really put much thought into it. Really, it happens to most people at some point in their lives (‘most’ – not all).
Do you flash your headlights at oncoming traffic when you have passed a speed trap?
I was on my way home at lunch time today, and a couple of cars flashed at me indicating the presence of a speed trap. I, without even thinking, eased off on the gas and gazed to the speedometer. This is pure reflex, because I really don’t drive very fast.
As I continued on my way, I passed other cars heading toward me. My lights, however, remained dark.
This was my street. How many times have I sat on our porch sipping a beer and damn near snapped my neck watching cars at speeds completely unsafe for this road.
I smirked to myself today as these unsuspecting drivers passed me … approaching the cop lying in wait. Ha, they’re on their own.

So, the corner I turned so long ago(after a proper signal of course), was when I realized cops are the good guys.
As teens we spent a lot of time ‘dodging’ the cops, ‘looking out’ for the cops, ‘running from’ the cops, and generally bad mouthing them (David…do you remember Applebaum?). Questioning authority. Its part of the growing process. I am done growing now (please reference my diet post…no more growing for me.)

Now, I have friends who are cops. (see how I use the colloquial ‘cops’ rather than ‘policeman’… that’s cuz we are friends…and that’s how friends are – like for example they could call me a lezbo and I would be ok with that). We have called the cops for various reasons throughout our 17 years in our town. They have always been helpful, prompt, polite, and rather supportive. A dear friend once said how much she valued “anyone willing to take a bullet for me.” That summed it up perfectly for me.
So if you are heading out my way anytime soon – you may want to slow down a bit. That way you will notice if we’re out on the porch having a coldie… so stop in (safely signaling first).

No comments: