Thursday, March 09, 2006

Is it all about the weather?

There is a lot of talk these days, at least in the northern part of this big country, about the weather. Spring seems to have that effect on people – even more so here in the northeast. We like to talk about IT. We like to think about IT. We like to watch the news and surf the internet about IT. When ITs coming, that we can feel IT coming, that ITs practically here, that ITs taking to long to get here, that ITs long overdue. We talk about the rain and the snow and the gray days and sunny days – ITs just a popular topic of conversation.

I am fairly easy going about the weather. I actually like gray days.
So I am pretty satisfied with either sunny or rainy days. I like a good snow storm and I also like the odd warm days where you can wash the car in the driveway with piles of snow still in the yard.

However, I have been having the strangest reaction to the end of this winter… I am not sure if its age, or maybe its that whole peri-menopausal thing – but this time of year, as I look forward to the long, warm days of summer, I seem to be getting angered by the cold.
Yeah, I actually get pissed off.
I don’t get it, but I am living it, it happens.

As I was leaving work the other day, I step out the door, and get hit with this blast of cold air. It wasn’t even really cold… it was moderate – but this wave of infuriation swept through me. Damned if I wasn’t ticked. How the heck can you get mad at cold air? But there I was… walking to my car – all pissed off, and scrunching my coat around my neck.
Go figure.

So, I don’t really know if this is just some strange reaction to a long, hard winter (umm, which it really wasn’t), or if this is just a small taste of the wackiness to ensue as I make my way into middle age.
If it’s the latter… then my peri-menopausal wife and I are sure in for a ride.

No comments: