Thursday, March 23, 2006

My stuff

I am not really a materialistic type of person. In fact, I don’t really like to have too much stuff. Luckily my free-spirited wife has similar traits in this area – she is actually even more carefree of worldly possession than I. Our house is fairly free of clutter and most things we have serve a purpose. As The Daughter would say… we don’t have much chachki.

My wife and I also regularly purge… not in a bulimic sort of way… I am referring to tucked away storage nooks, the basement, the attic, bookshelves and drawers where unnecessary items can gather. If you let them gather for too long their numbers become great and you risk a coup.
This purging makes us both very happy, and keeps our chi flowing freely around the house. Not to mention it makes dusting all that much easier. (remind me to tell you how much I LOVE my new Swiffer duster).

All that said, I was thinking today about a couple/few cherished items of mine. (Had I my digital camera with me, I would have provided pics). What got me thinking about this here at the office, is one of said ‘cherished’ items.

My peace lamp.

It sits here on my desk at work, and people tend to call it a lava lamp – but it is not a lava lamp and in fact has no lava what-so-ever.

My peace lamp is similar to a lava lamp in that it has a metal base with a light bulb in it. But rather than lava – there is clear liquid with tiny metallic floating bits. Using the same physics as a lava lamp – the heat from the bulb causes the little bits to float to the top in the center of the lamp, where the heat concentrates. They then cool a bit and begin to drift back down around the outer edges of the lamp… where they land at the bottom and get heated again and on we go…

This lamp brings me great joy.

I will share more of my cherished items… and will provide pics to – because a picture is worth a thousand words, and that saves me so much typing.


Thank you dear sister-in-law for my peace lamp.
I still have it after all these years and it is one of my ‘cherished items’.

No comments: