Sunday, January 04, 2009

It's all about the beni's

When I lost my job in November... hmm, "lost" - I didn't technically 'lose' anything.
I mean..you 'lose' your keys, you can 'lose' weight...but if I lost my job -- wouldn't that mean I might find it again.

Anyway... I digress.

Technically, I was an employee until Friday, January 2nd. Which means that our health benefits were good until that date. Years ago when I started with this company they were very progressive in their support of domestic partnership benefits which even allowed us to have Ferris on the plan.

So, the week before Christmas my hard working wife inquired at her job only to find that since Connecticut laws have changed - companies now require same sex couples be married to be eligible for benefits.

Hmm, ok - no problem. We'll visit the town hall sign some papers and hey... what the heck we'll take the kids out to dinner to celebrate.
It would be our 'marriage of convenience.'

Welp... when our dearest friends Betsy and Sammy heard of our plans - they would have none of that.

With a week to plan and organize and acquire - these two warm and wonderfully amazing people, with artistic help from Sue (and accomplices Kate and Karen) turned our home into a veritable marriage wonderland.

We then contacted our oldest friends in the world, Elaina and Alan, who knew us when we were first falling in love - back in the 80's with our big hair and parachute pants. Elaina is a Rabbi and we wanted to know if she would be able to marry us in a civil ceremony.
After some legal investigating - she left a simple message on our machine days before the wedding.
"Yay, yay, yay!"


And so on January 2nd, 2009 in front of our families and a small group of friends-
we were married by a Rabbi


In our home - made magical with tasty food, stunning flowers and love
























put together by
Sammy










and Bets.









We love them more than we can express.





We exchanged ALL of the rings we have given each other over the years.

Our kids helped out by holding all the rings...
























And we took turns telling the story of each one.



And now... finally, when I speak of my many-adjectived wife - she really is, legally and binding, with all the benefits...
my wife.






the special, stunning, sexy, sultry, silly, seven
in birth order no less...
sue, my wife, weese, karen, bets, kate, sammy



maybe later in the week I will tell you about the beer pong game...

34 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I am so, so, happy for you both! Really, I'm sitting here with this goofy grin on my face, and a tear of happiness for you in my eye. A lifetime of continued love and happiness to you both!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you two!!! I have to tell you that my darling wife Sassy called this one a few days ago - she is, afterall, one of the most intuitive women I know...

Anyway, I'm so very happy for both of you! (About time you joined the ranks of legally married, honest women... like the two of us)

:)) Fran

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Wonderful photos - look at all that happiness~~

sporksforall said...

Congrats! Seems like you still managed to have more peeps at yours than we did at ours. Getting benefits is SO much better a reason to hurry things along--huh, "hurry" after how many years together--than some proposition that wants to take right away. Marriage is nice, though. For sure. :)

Syd said...

It looks lovely. Congratulations.

Beer pong? LOL. I suspect you aren't joking.

psu.acoustician said...

Congratulations! Its good to have friends that can throw excellent parties in short periods of time!

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov!

Glad to hear another couple took the plunge, even if "for convenience". ;-) The photos are amazing and you all look so happy.

We've collected weddings, domestic partnership and other commitments over our 17+ years (in Calif). Our legal marriage, while quick and a small ceremony, has meant a lot more to us than we expected.

So go have some "honeymoon" snuggle time. We've been "newlyweds" for a few months and uhm, well, ;-)))))

Chapin said...

Congrats!! This post made my day!
I'm waiting on more stories and photos.

Meaner Dog said...

That is so great!!! Everything looks so beautiful and perfect. I wish both of you a lifetime of happiness.

Trop said...

Congratulations!

Middle Girl said...

How so very loverly.

Congratualtions!

clammy said...

Congratulations to both of you.

Jen said...

Congrats and a raised glass to many more celebrations together!

Lee said...

Beautiful pics! Congrats!!!

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Congrats, but I want to hear about your hat.

WenWhit said...

Fucking gorgeous, Weese and Wife.

We had a cocktail or 20 in your honor :)

Val said...

Mazel tov! Starting the new year off right - great pics.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you two beautiful brides! Those are wonderful pictures.

Anonymous said...

:o)
:o):o)
:o):o):o)
:o):o):o):o)
yeah yeah yeah!!!!!

Landlady of Fat said...

Congrats!!! Though I do hate the fact that so many of us have to rush around putting a wedding together all of a sudden.

But hey, at least it's a MARRIAGE, right??

Congrats again! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful occasion! The fm and can't wait to see you two soon! So much to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

congrats! I'm so happy for you two!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Health, happiness & tons of lovely fun to you both! Cheers!

Love,
Jenn & Dennis

Zoe said...

That's so awesome. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you both.

mommagarcia said...

so so so happy for you! what wonderful pictures! congrats a million times!

sageweb said...

I am late to the party....super congrats to both of you!!

Jesse said...

! What a beautiful thing :)

KMae said...

WOW.
Such a beautiful story, with pictures to match!
You all are so lucky to have legalized marraiges up there!

You women look beautiful.
And yeah, tell us about that cute hat.

KraftyKay said...

Congratulations!! It looks stunning and I love the idea of telling the stories of the rings.

hoo hoo said...

That is so freaking awesome! Maybe one day, my backwards state of Tennessee will allow me and my wife of 13 years to be legally wed. Strangers things have happened.

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Mazal tov! Lots of love and good wishes from all of us!

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I'm off in my love-la land and you are celebrating a long love with a wonderful ceremony. Congratulations, Weese to both of you for being able to recognize legally what you'd already been living for so long!

Dodes said...

What a wedding! Thank you for inviting me.

Alaina's words tailored to fit like gloves; Sammy's classic plans executed without flaw; Betsy's nostalgic, numerical toast; Sue's backdrop of light and life; Karen and Kate's warm humor; daughter and son living testaments to your fabulous parenting -- truly a symphony.

And beer pong for post-dessert activity. Doesn't get much better than that!

Dawn Rochelle Fields said...

We are so happy for you - wish we could have been there to share in this joyous occasion - love to you and your family!
xoxo
Dawn and Jerry