Tuesday, September 08, 2009

...and you thought I married for love

Last winter we were horrified to find that a dank little crawl space in our near century old home had been taken over by rodents.
While simply moving was our top choice, packing seemed daunting so we decided to 'urge' the critters to relocate.

We started the project on our own but quickly saw that we were outmatched and brought in professionals.
After our guests had permanently left the premisis, we had the crawl space cleaned out and sanitized. All that was left was to re-insulate and close up the openings so no future happy families could move in. We had already dumped quite a bit of money into this little creepy hole in the wall (most likely a coal access or some such thing),

so when I got further estimates to finish the job - my fearless wife stepped in...literally.

We went to our local big box store and purchased insulation, and the cutest little hazmat suit.


We added gloves, goggles and a mask - and she was ready to go.










Clever gal that she is - she suggested we use the halogen work light to make it bright and cheery in there. See how good lighting can dramatically improve your space.

The work went quickly with me on the outside cutting lengths to size and handing them in. There were times when she was pretty far in there... so I pushed them in with a broom handle. heh.

Can you see why she is such a catch?

10 comments:

CJ said...

Those pictures are priceless!! Hope your rodents stay away!!

Landlady of Fat said...

I know I'M in love!

Teresa said...

Wow, does she do house calls? We have a cat who's taken up residence below our, um, residence, and it's making the dogs crazy—plus, I don't want anything dying beneath our feet (California houses lack basements; we just have the crawlspace directly under the floorboards). I keep trying to stake out the yard to get a bead on him so that I can seal up the opening knowing that he's not trapped down there, but when he sees me he always dashes back under the house. We're not worthy of homeownership if we can't outsmart a hobo cat.

eb said...

and... she can walk like an Egyptian. She's a keeper.

e said...

Your wife rocks the house! Or at least insulates it... for all I know she may (sheet)rock it too! Talk about a good catch.

Be careful with that broom handle...

Trish said...

wow...TOTALLY hot babe!

*love* that money shot--the last pic...;-)

we have a client who has critters...does your wife travel and how does she feel about California!?

wordver: (no joke) pussen

Syd said...

Wow! That is unreal. I would NEVER do that. Brave woman.

Maria said...

Can she come live with us for awhile? We have a pretty large crawl space (and our home is ancient, you NEVER see these in the younger models...)and once when we suspected that our shower was leaking, Bing and I ventured into there. We had only peeked in with a flashlight before I bought the home to make sure that a ghoul wasn't residing in there. This time, we actually crawled in (it is about 20x20) and yes, the shower was leaking. But, off in a dark corner I spotted something that looked like a lunch bag. I had my head lamp on (and boy howdy did I look sexy) and I went to investigate. It WAS a brown bag. I lugged it out into our basement and in a good light, we opened it.

Inside was a pair of man's underpants and a kitchen knife. We were just...baffled. What do you think the story was? We came up with some gruesome ideas, but the home had only belonged to one family before us. And...hey....this would be a good blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

LilliGirl said...

That's awesome. I love being up for a challenge and all others who are too.

Taradharma said...

she is a TOTAL catch! You got the easy part, but it was an essential part, too.

that hazmat suit is sexy....