Wednesday, June 09, 2010

i so dislike the grid

Last week I took down my Facebk page.
Sorry to all you people out there who love it.

I find it utter nonsense, best left to the high schoolers it was designed for.

I have heard many people say that they use it to keep in touch with family and friends, which is great -if that's what works for you.
I don't generally want to know what anyone is doing every minute. If I want to catch up with you I very much prefer to see you in person - speak to you, look into your eyes, wrap my arms around you - yes, I'm a hugger.

I certainly don't want people from my past dredging me up because they have nothing better to do than surf the web. If I wanted to stay in touch... well...

The whole friending/un-friending thing sounds simply ghastly.

So its gone.

You can still get in touch with us in several ways:
  • We have a house phone and are listed in the phone book. That phone has an answering machine. If we are not home - please leave us a message.

  • I actually have a cell phone (my way-off-the-grid wife does not) tho I use that primarily for work. If I am not at work or travelling its most likely in a drawer - and so I would advise sticking to the house phone.

  • Please feel free to post a letter to me. How I miss letters.

  • I also respond to email, as I am not completely off the grid. I rather like email in that I can read it when I get around to it, and can respond at my leisure. It's not unlike a letter in my mail box, except less tactile. Keep in mind - I don't usually check email on the weekends.

    Ah but there is always the house phone...

6 comments:

placeholder said...

I like this technology back sliding that you and the wife are doing. I think we all need to take a step back and remember life before instant access.

I'm going to follow your lead and delete my account with that vial Facebook. Ya wanna know what wrecked Facebook for me? I'm sick of the all the invitations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-social, and I love getting together with friends. But I hate how so many of my friends became MASS MARKETING MACHINES for whatever band they like, or cause they're hot for.

So it's going. I look forward to the peace and quiet.

... well gotta run, my celly is blowing up!

Fr. Bill M. Albec

Trish said...

I love FB for getting in touch with people I *can't* touch in person. But I do agree with your reasons. I think the only person I know who has a tighter page than I do is an ex who has listed "don't friend me unless you want rejection, I don't friend people"...there's a reason ex is an ex. I'm not that extreme, but you get the idea. and it keeps me busy moments at a time inbetween doc visits, pt appts and other waiting rooms. I've actually been trying to read a book in those spots, but keep getting interrupted and have read the same dang page 12 times!

and just for a little levity...my wv for this post was...stocdyke
really? I'm pretty unique, I thought!

clammy said...

I would call you, but I need to friend you first. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a teacher and have loads of ex-students on FB, it's a nifty way to keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

My FB boundaries are simple. I generally don't friend people, they have to friend me. And if they send a generic request with no personal note, I say no. If I haven't had contact with a FB friend in as long as I can remember, I delete them.

I sorta like that I didn't know you had a FB page...

xo
qm

Anonymous said...

We're pretty much the opposite. Our entire family, including 70+ year old in-laws, are on FB, and we definitely use it to keep in touch and up-to-date. We've had fun reconnecting with friends from HS and college, and staying in touch with friends spread around the country. It's been especially nice to pick up a couple of old friendships. Hardly anyone ever calls on the house phone other than daughter and MIL, and even then it's often to set up a Skype session. FB, email and texting are pretty much how we keep in touch, and set up get-togethers with friends/family. We like the grid - iPhones, iPad, laptops - we're pretty plugged in around here. :)


- Ann (still can't remember the password for my login)