Thursday, June 24, 2010

the end of an era?

I have just found out that the Cedar Brook Cafe will be closing.
It is rumoured to be the oldest gay bar in the nation.
Tho somehow I doubt that.
It is old. And in seriously rough shape.

It was old and in rough shape when I was going there, and that folks was in the 80's.

I started going when I was in college.
It was my first gay bar.
I was a regular.
I was there on Fridays and Saturdays, made most Sunday T's, and even went on the occasional Thursday.
There was a good crowd there back then. Lots of wonderfully good looking women, and the men were handsome, buff, tan and great dancers.

I dated the bouncer for a time, and the bartender always had my Michelob ready before I even made it over to the bar.
Back in those days, I never went with anyone - tho I rarely left alone. I eschewed the dance floor and ran the pool table. I flirted, I drank, I cheated*, I smoked, I dated several woman at once...
oh the good times.
ah to be young.

Years later, hmm, well...not many years later - still in my 20's I started dating a terribly attractive woman.
Some of our first dates were at the Cedar Brook Cafe, we called it The Brook.
Turns out we would go there for several years together. I gave up running the pool table so that I could dance with this lovely lady.
Clearly, I was rather smitten.
In fact, I think we stopped going mostly because of the birth of our second child.

And so this rugged little bar has many fond memories for me... for us.

They are having a closing party this Saturday night.
We talked about going, my AARP member-wife and I. But I think we'll pass.

The Brook was our place.
A long time ago.
I'll let it stay that way in my heart and in my memory.

We've lived a whole life since then.
It's not our place anymore - it belongs to a younger, firmer crowd.
We'll let them sweep up and lock the door.

Cheers.


* never at pool

8 comments:

Jesse said...

It is where Tina and I met and we've been there many times together. I'm glad we have the memories that we do have (the good and the not so good!), but we'll be making one more on Saturday night.

I've heard that it's the longest continuously running gay bar in the USA, though not necessarily the oldest. Not sure how that works and I am also not sure I believe it.

I'm sad that it's closing. :(

clammy said...

Nice post.. Nice memories. crack open a Mich on Saturday night, grab your woman and dance around the living room like you did in the 80's. Then you can just fall into an easy chair and fall asleep by 10:00pm.

Anonymous said...

was there in the mid seventies a few times....before i realised *I* belonged there. I was just going with a waiter at work who was gay.
I don't know when "Cedar" joined the name...it was always "the Brook"
Sooz

e said...

What? None of the young pups wants a career running a legendary gay bar? That's too bad.

Glad you all have such great memories of the place. I think clammy has a good idea there, Weese!

Anonymous said...

This is so sad! I'm really sorry this special place is closing. But you got the girl, so it sure did serve its purpose.

Same goes for you, Jesse!

Val said...

I spent 5 out of 7 nights there from 1977-1980! GREAT times! ah, to be young & stupid! :)

Went back during the 80's & 90's... but it wasn't the same, or perhaps I wasn't the same!

Linda & I went there last night (Friday), since we can't make it for the LAST night... it was nice hanging out with some friends, though screaming to each other over the music is NOT our favorite thing to do!

It will be strange to drive by and it not be there any longer... it was always a nice reminder of days gone by and it's sad that it won't continue for the next generation.

Perhaps the next generation doesn't need a gay bar, as when we were young, it was a place to 'hide out' and be ourselves - no hiding any more is needed these days!

eb said...

So, it seems it was very possible that KL, Val and Weese were all in the same place at the same time and didn't even know it.

KMae said...

I like this story! It is really great, learning about your younger caroussing days, haha!