Thursday, September 09, 2004

Rain, snow and other weather stories

It’s raining again here in CT today. I like rainy days.
I am not sure why, but I like the grayness of them, and there is a closeness that I find comforting… nurturing. I kiddingly say it ‘centers my chi’ – but it's not so much of a joke.

It's similar to the way I feel about winter. I don’t like the cold, nor do I ski or snowboard …or any other winter sport for that matter. But I like winter as a season. I don’t mind the short days – getting up in the dark, going home from work in the dark. It’s a season of healing, of rejuvenation, of hibernating – well without the sleeping all day, I am not one to sit around much, let alone sleep in the day time – nope, no naps for me.

I also like a good storm – a windy rainstorm or a blizzard. Not the dangerous kind of storm, I am not a thrill seeker…and I really don’t need any repairs added to my long list of things to do. Just storms that make you pause and watch their fury and their glory – lightning is always a nice addition to such a storm. I like the business of preparing for a storm… a hunkering down. Preparing some good warm food, setting out candles, perhaps a nice hot toddy, or some mulled cider. I also have an odd need to be home when a storm is approaching. This can actually cause me some anxiety if I am at work and it’s nearly time to go when I see a stormy sky. If I am out running errands I will cut them short if I see one blowing in. I like to be home to watch their approach. There is a familiarity to watching one blow in, watching the west go dark and ominous. My wife and I often enjoy summer storms on our covered porch, although I freely admit to fleeing when the lightening gets close (safety first). My brave wife will stay out there – thrill seeker that she can be sometimes. Also, it’s best for me if everyone is home when a storm is coming. But I have learned with the kids getting older that this is often not the case, and my supportive wife has helped me to let go… I find solace instead in making sure that all the pets accounted for.

With fall fast approaching, I am making ready for winter. I am like a squirrel gathering nuts… although I do try not to race out into the road with armloads of firewood. It’s almost time to batten down the hatches, put away our summer toys and pull out the woolies… oh, and rake…and rake… and rake.
Gotta get me one of these.

No comments: