Monday, January 17, 2005

Alma Mater

This weekend Ferris' wrestling tournament brought us to the high school I graduated from.
I have been back there over the years many times for other sporting events, and each year we attend the fireworks there and sit in the baseball field. But this is the first time in ... I believe since graduation, that I have been inside.
Of course we spent most of the day in a room I have very few memories of. Let's just say I was (am) not much of an athlete. Not to mention the HID-e-OUS gym uniforms we were required to wear back in the 70's (David...back me up here). Really, how could I subject myself to such humiliation each week. I had a reputation to keep up... and granted - those girls who were so fit and athletically inclined actually pulled it off in the poly-blend striped atrocities.... me... not so much. There was nothing attractive about me in a gym uniform.
Spending the hour outside in the smoking lounge suited me much more. (yes, we had a smoking lounge at high school...it was the 70's).
From the brief look I had outside the gym, everything looked pretty much the same. Actually, it looked exactly the same. Kinda scary.

(yes, David... it all looks the same. The commons, the bathrooms, the smoking lounge (altho its smoke free now), the lockers even look original.)

No comments: