Thursday, January 12, 2006

The vortex of mechanical disturbances

The vortex continues its spiral above our house. Cars are dropping like flies.
Recently we had the sunroof incident with my wife's car. Then Ferris' car started getting all persnickety about changing gears. So he ended up being late everywhere while he sat in his car waiting for it to go into park. We had that fixed up this week - but its seems it will require a re-visit to the dealer for an... 'adjustment'.
On a side note. My next car must be an Acura. Ferris drives a '92 Integra. As he is not particularly fond of this car its not been washed or vacuumed since summer, and has gotten its fair share of dents and dings over the last year. Try to imagine this car sitting in the dealer lot next to all those shiny new fast Acuras. It was amusing.
When I went to pick the car up - it had been washed and vacuumed. I had to wonder if this was part of their normal service policy or if our car was just so forlorn that they needed to clean it up just to sit in the service lot. Either way I was very pleased. But wait, there's more.
They called and left a message the next day to see how everything was and to make sure I was happy with their service... kinda like a doctor will call after a procedure to make sure you are feeling well. I was smitten.
Granted I have to take the car back for an ...'adjustment'. Perhaps today they can just wash the windows for me.
In the mean time...my little VW has decided I am not safe enough and needs to alarm the car at all times even when I am in the vehicle driving down the street... and occasionally and erratically sets off the alarm to fend off unseen enemies. Since this is an older VW with the stock alarm - I have to jump out of the car to turn the key in the door to shut it off. This had been relatively effective until I tried to leave work yesterday when the car was so agitated it would not hush up. Poor dear thing must have had some trauma out there in the parking garage all by itself.
Today its sitting in our garage with its battery unhooked to keep it quiet.
On a VERY bright note - the daughters handsome and clever boyfriend happens to be a brilliant mechanic specializing in car alarms and sophisticated electronics. Lucky me.
Normally on such a morning as this(you know...when all your cars break) I would log in and work from home - ah...but no remember I have single handedly hosed every computer in the house. To my credit ... I have one of said computers up and running well enough to blog...and perform its sole purpose for the next two weeks - complete college applications.
Life is good, technology... not so much.

No comments: