Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A man of God

Our pastor stopped in last night – unannounced. It always happens that way with him. When he has a reason to stop by, or to ‘reach out’ as he puts it, he just shows up. He has done this on only a handful of occasions, and I bring this up because over the years this man has made quite an impression on me.

Without getting mired in detail I will just say this for some background. I am not a particularly religious person. I don’t actually belong to this church. This is probably a whole ‘nother blog entry. My wife belongs (altho issues with O&A have left her a little dismayed…again – another blog entry), and our son is very involved and is actually one of the church leaders. (yeah, Ferris by day is a deacon…and by night – well you all know those stories… gotta love that kid).

Anyway… the pastor had heard we were going through some family issues related to our upcoming civil union… and came by to check in on us. This touched me.
So much so in fact, that even tho we were just having dinner and the house was in disarray with dishes and laundry and the general goings-on of a weeknight in full swing – it mattered not. If you know me, this is huge.

This man is full of good stuff. Call it God, call it energy… good karma, call it whatever – but its there, and I sense it each time I am in his presence.
He didn’t stay long but we chatted of civil unions, of Ferris’ impending college departure, we talked of teens and parents, and dogs, and in-laws…
When he left, I felt comforted, I felt enriched, I felt more a part of the community.
I have met few people in my life who impress me as much.
It makes this atheist almost want to go to service on Sundays.

Thanks Pete.

No comments: