Monday, April 17, 2006

What's on your bumper sticker?

I saw a car on my way into work this morning with a bumper sticker that read
This car climbed Mt. Washington
I had to wonder.

I had to wonder how driving up a large hill was such a life changing experience as to warrant a bumper sticker plastered on the back of your car.
Ok – I could see…“This car climbed Mt. Washington and I lost my virginity at the summit.” Or perhaps. “This car climbed Mt. Washington and we had three toddlers in the car (and actually brought them all down with us)”. … even “This car climbed Mt. Washington, which is where I found it.”

Mt. Washington is all of 6288 feet. Granted, for us Northeasterners, that’s a mountain. On their web site it says the ride to the summit will take 30 minutes…
and for this you get their self proclaimed 'world famous' bumper sticker.

Pulleeze, when I was only 20 I drove my car up Pike’s Peak in Colorado.
14,110 feet, a two hour ride to the summit, 2000 foot cliffs with no guard rails…
You don't get a bumper sticker for that...you get a shot and a beer.
You needed it to settle your nerves. Most who take that ride – don’t do it a second time.

Here's the road at Mt. Washington. Pretty huh...


Here is the road at Pikes Peak... yeah, the road does continue around the corner.

No comments: