Monday, April 24, 2006

PTO

Some years back my company offered the standard two weeks off, and the not-so-standard unlimited sick time.
Evidently, there was some misuse of unlimited-ness of the sick time.
This sort of thing really pisses me off – its just poor form. Hey, there is nothing wrong with the occasional ‘mental health’ day. But I heard through the rumor-mill some folks actually used 20 even 30 sick days in a years time… in addition to their vacation time. Sheesh.
Anyway…leave it to a few to spoil it for the masses. Although I would hardly say it was spoiled for me…more accurately.. I am spoiled.

To fix this problem the company moved to a PTO system – Personal Time Off. This is a merging of vacation time and sick time. The standard allowance for a new employee is something like 20 days. Seems nice enough…eh.
Well … shortly after this change the company then adjusted their fiscal calendar from the standard Jan – Dec to July – June. They did some finagling to make sure everyone was ‘happy’ with their new distribution of PTO time… and for me… just by chance – I ended up with a whole extra pile of days. Add to that the extra week added for being with the company for over 5 years… I have A LOT of time off to use.

So I am home ... till Wednesday.

My project list is unfortunately not interesting enough for pictures this week.
Today I am finishing up some painting in the half bath – not really picture worthy.
But should I go off on a tangent and start putting on an addition, or perhaps digging an in ground pool – I will post some pictures.
Stayed tuned.

No comments: