Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The post in which I talk about my hair

let me just say first...that there are several people who, after reading this, will line up to shave my head. My scissored wife will be at the front of that line.

I used to wear my hair short.
Very short.




I wore my hair this way for ... a long time.

Then suddenly I started have a 'hair identity crisis'. I really can't put my finger on what started it - but the buzz started to feel a little too... perhaps… 'butch-cliché'.
This may be part of my mid-life crisis... but really I thought that’s what the convertible was all about.

I did this once before-- a couple years back… grew my hair out, although that was more for a change of pace than a crisis. I had a goal, and that was to grow it long enough to pull back. I was patient for close to two years. Well perhaps patient is not the right word… it was a pain staking two years. And, once I reached my lofty goal, I found that I really disliked having long hair. It was always in my face - it was a hassle to sleep at night - I was really only content with it pulled back, which basically looked like I had short hair anyway, so why all the fuss. Plus, I found out - I shed like a Labrador.
As soon as I reached the goal - off it came. Whew.

So why… why do I take this torturous path again. I don’t really know. And this is the real problem.
It’s that I don’t really know.

And so I review the Pros and Cons:

Buzz cut ‘Pros’

Easy to wash – saves on shampoo
No other maintenance necessary
Can wear hats without getting hat-head (love hats)
Does not require product (dislike product)
Requires frequent trims (a ‘pro’ for me as I love it when my sultry wife cuts my hair ;))


Buzz cut ‘Cons’

Mid-life lesbian identity crisis
Requires frequent trims (I can be relentless when I want a trim)
Can be mistaken for a teenage boy… albeit with gray hair and wrinkles



The Daughter, the therapist, is helping me work through my identity issues -- she has plans for my next style – which I am currently ‘growing into’ (she also has suggested I wear a barrett... she is so cute).
I am told it will be another couple months until I have the length to pull it off.
Anyone care to wager on whether I make it or not?

No comments: