Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My blog-pal Sporks' post got me to thinking today...

If I remember correctly it was middle school where I learned a very important life lesson. My fuzzy memory puts me in Home Economics class... yes... Home Economics 101 - where I learned to sew, cook and basically care for the home. There were only girls in those classes back then. Boys took Auto Shop. I ...being the dyke that I am ... had absolutely no desire to take Auto Shop. Dirty hands -ewww. Perhaps if the engines were steam cleaned and shiny I would consider it - since the mechanics of it do appeal to my logical mind. But really folks, I belonged in Home Economics. I should probably consider teaching Home Economics…but that’s a whole ‘nother post.

My Home Economics teacher would often veer off the standard HomeEc syllabus and lend us valuable life-advice. She was a heavy set, jolly woman – and I liked her and the class, so I actually, mostly, listened.

One day she was giving us random tidbits to prepare us to adjust to our inevitable married lives. It was on this day that she explained the simple beauty of purchasing two brands of toothpaste. Toothpaste brands were not worth causing an argument between spouses. She also made sure we knew that it was completely unnecessary to be the demure wife and use her husband’s choice of tooth cleansing products.

Buy two tubes, she said.

This is true and sound advice on so many levels.
Learning is all about interpreting and interpolating.
Hey, if I could learn to sew from making a stuffed hippopotamus pillow – then surely I could garner valuable keys to my future relationships from two simple tubes of paste.
Those tubes are my independence, as well as my willingness to be accepting and not judgmental.
Thanks Mrs. C.
It has made me a better person and a better spouse.
21+ years of buying Crest AND Colgate… and counting.

No comments: