Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A rat of a different color

There seems to be some confusion about rats.

Rats are not exclusively city dwellers. They are opportunists - which makes cities appealing. They also love them some water, thus we find so many living in the city sewer systems. But they also love swamps, and rivers and lakes. The rat population in the city mimics that of humans. More humans, more rats.

Out here in suburbia - less humans, but certainly there are rats. These rats know nothing of train lines and subway systems or hotdog vendors and high rises. They would be as uncomfortable living in Manhattan as I.
Our rats enjoy the suburban sprawl, the large lawns, open water ways and lush landscapes. These are not the sickly disease infested rats we are so frightened of. In fact, they are no more parasite or disease ridden than say a squirrel. These are simply robust country rodents. As is a bunny rabbit.
(for further enjoyment, you may want to read this interesting article in the Times regarding animal discrimination.)

Let's also remember that there are plenty of professional rats holding lofty research positions. These rats generally live at their place of work, as rats tend to eschew commuting.

So yes, we have rats... or 'rat' as it were. (I have had the trap out for several days since our first catch with no takers.)
Are there more?
Possibly.
Do we have a plan?
Most assuredly.

to be continued...

please note - that is neither me or my rat pictured above. I can barely trap one, let alone get one to sit on my shoulder.

11 comments:

WenWhit said...

There is nothing you can say, no article written, that will make me look upon a RAT as a squirrel. I'm frightened beyond reason by mice, and just might keel right over if I ever saw a rat.

I'm still up for helping with your roof... but you're on your own with this critter. *shudder*

Syd said...

oooh, I want to play on the roof too!

I nearly choked at your pointing out the pic wasn't actually YOU. For some reason, that really struck me as funny.

sporksforall said...

We paid $250 to have a single rat removed from our attic. It was worth every penny to me. I'll be fascinated to see what someone more enterprising than I comes up with to deal with a rat sitch. Tuned I stay.

Middle Girl said...

All the rats I have seen were robust and they all scared the dickens right out of me.

SassyFemme said...

Given how I freaked out catching the mice, and they were so small, there's no way I could handle a rat. It's simply the size of them... and the fact that they'd bite with those long nasty teeth.

chapin said...

I'm a little faint just from reading your post. I cannot stand mice so I would indeed pass dead away if I had to deal with a rat. Good luck with your ordeal.

Val said...

hmmm... if you catch that thar rat, it just might be a nice 'gift' at that social outing on Sassy's back porch comin' up... whattaya think?!!!
And you just might have some time to teach it to sit on your shoulder all cute like!

clammy said...

okay, so what you're saying is that we have as much chance of finding a rat in our garage as seeing those tiny little mice that make me scream. eek.

dykewife said...

to say that i'm scared of rats (and therefore dislike them intensely) would be the understatement of the year.

Anonymous said...

Rats also make excellent pets. They are extremely intelligent and surprisingly affectionate.

The vet clinic I used to work at became known for our work on rats and hence we used to get quite a few ratty patients. I went from being quite scared of them to absolutely loving hanging out with them.

Rats have a lifespan of approximately 3 years. They actually die of cancerous tumors (which is one good reason never to believe science reports that say a certain product caused tumors in rats). They make excellent pets for kids aged 8 and above. Of course, I would think twice about converting a street rat into a pet.

Anonymous said...

We have an older house, here in sunny West Aust, that has no eaves. My Dad, who lived next door, had a huge 'man shed' crammed with 'man stuff' and rats. No eaves + rats = a lot of trouble for us, and an investment in poison and professionals.
When Dad passed away we cleaned out the shed, and 'voila,' no more rats.
It really was just a case of removing their habitat that stopped them from nesting and breeding.
Rats aren't particularly scary, especially when your cats offer them to you as proof of their hunting prowess and then expect you to dispose of them.