Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Foiled

Or should I say... foamed.

In an effort to save money without sacrificing the essentials, I ordered wine online.
I was pleased. I was saving money and someone was dropping it off on my porch. (and while I realize the consequences of the fossil fuel wasted to do this - the guy is driving right past my house every day regardless... so why not stop and bring us some wine while your out).

BUT -- what I was not prepared for, was the styrofoam.

They ship in styrofoam! I am sure this is a cost effective way for the company to safely transport its product -- but I simply cannot have this coming into the house on a regular basis.

Do you know how I feel about styrofoam??


This clearly isn't going to work out. And now we have even MORE styrofoam that I have no idea what to do with.

OO the horror!

Luckily, I have some wine to ease my suffering.

10 comments:

otter said...

call your nearest place that packs and ships, like m@il*boxes et.c and see if the will take it and re-use it. The one near me usually takes mine.

e said...

the unfortunate thing is that there are newer products that AREN'T styrofoam. And ways of packing that don't require it.

I'm with you on the abhorrence of styrofoam. Yuck!

eb said...

the more important question...

what's the wine?

Anonymous said...

Yikes! What an unfortunate drawback. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

We took a ride up to MA on Sunday. Wine up there is dramatically cheaper than here. Of course it's just 20mn. up the road from here, but if you're going to stock up, might be worth the ride on a nice weekend day.

Trish said...

they are probably REQUIRED by UPS or their regular shipper to use the styrofoam or risk having NO insurance on anything they ship. UPS used to require we fill a 6 1/2 foot box with styrofoam peanuts to encase air-dams when I worked for an auto parts place. That amount of peanuts would have cost more than the air dam! We took our risks and only lost 2 or 3 dams a year.

You can also call the place you get the wine from and ask if the guy who is driving by every day will come pick the foam back up for the next shipment!

Anonymous said...

o weese weese weese
hath thou forgotten thou knowest someone who owneth a restaurant and can order you all the wine thou wantest at wholesale prices??? Thou owner also hath a wifeth who would most likely loveth to delivereth

eb said...

that means you can get Sagelands!

Val said...

Pace yourself on drowning your sorrows!

Happy Easter to you and the Mrs! :)

DawgDyke said...

Happy bunny day!

Hows aboutz youz make your own wine?