Tuesday, April 07, 2009

O dear

Do you remember the FREE cat?
Well, she has been happily sitting on our covered porch all winter – basically waiting for me to feed her – which I did… A LOT – this of course completely negated the entire reason for getting her in the first place.

Remember, we were seeking help controlling rodents. The theory was that feral cats eat rodents… because they are hungry.
Clearly our feral cat was NEVER hungry. O well.
See this is what happens when a feral cat lives with two Italian lesbian moms. They get fat and lazy…and the rodents play.
(tho my observant wife will tell you that she has actually seen a dramatic reduction in the out-of-control chipmunk population so far this spring).

Just over a week ago – we noticed two things. FREE cat was missing, and there were signs in the gardens surrounding the porch that something was digging to try and get underneath. This concerned us – because we knew FREE cat went under there for naps and/or hiding.

All last week...every morning and every evening I looked for her on the porch. I’d flip on the light and check for her just before bed. Every time I pulled into the driveway I expected to see her sitting there…waiting for food, waiting to hiss at me as I put down her bowl.
She never appeared.
I wondered… of course I worried a little. But she was feral. I had to trust that she could manage.

This morning on my way to work … on a very busy street not too far from home… I came upon a cat that had been hit – seemingly recently. I turned around and came back to look. I called home – to tell my supportive wife that I found our cat.
She suggested I call the animal control folks to come get her. She cautioned me not take care of her myself … after all… she was a wild animal, and we couldn’t know what sort of animals she may have encountered over this last week. That wife of mine…she is wise.

Tho … if the town staff fails us today… and I find our little Sorsha still lying on the side of the road on my way home from work, we’ll find a way to give her a proper burial.

peace Sorsha

13 comments:

elizabeth said...

awww... i'm sorry. poor kitty, shoulda stayed under the porch.
:-(

sporksforall said...

We had a "free" cat we called poopyhead and another we called slinky. Slinky was poop's progeny we think. They both met the same fate as Sorsha, I think. I was more upset than I thought I'd be.

So, all of that is to say I'm sorry this happened. Kitties break your heart.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor thing. I have no doubt that her time with you two was the best part of her life.

clammy said...

Sorcha's running with all the free cats now. Not having to worry about where her next meal is coming from. Yep, it's sad even if they don't get comfortable on the couch and snuggle on your lap.

weese said...

hey sporks thats so funny...
we used to call our little dog poopies.
it started as puppy... but then she had a couple/few 'accidents' in the house...

Beth M. said...

Awww. Poor kitty. At least it had a good life for a while.

KMae said...

My most favorite, beloved cat of all time was Moris a beautiful bushey yellow feral who so easily became my sweet, big lap baby once I gave him small cups of milk, then started feed ing him. I could call his name & he'd come running from blocks away, jump into my arms & flick his tail. God I loved that cat & miss him still. He was killed most likely by mean kids in a poor neighborhood we lived in at the time. Children came & told me they saw Morris dead in an empty lot when walking home from elementry school. I'll never find another Morris.

Val said...

Oh, weese, I'm so sorry to read this.... and i agree with Pixie - the last year HAD to be that cat's best!

Zoe said...

Poor kitty. At least it had a good life for a while.

Trish said...

so sorry to hear this weese!

sometimes they just can't be caged, no matter how much we want to help them.

then again, a month ago on our way to services, the wife was SURE I splattered a kitty on a major road nearby who darted out in front of us while doing 45mph. I tried to pull over, but it was one of those places you can't pull over for more than a mile.

The next morning, driving down the same road, I saw the same damn cat dart across the road---same little streak down his back.

Sometimes they just mess with you for a while.

RIP "Free cat"

Anonymous said...

~sigh~

eb said...

I'm sorry to hear about free cat. I'm also sorry for the person who hit her. Hitting an animal while driving is just awful.

I hit a rabbit one time. No kidding. A freakin' rabbit. I still remember it to this day.

Now I need some wine.

Dodes said...

weese and prunella,

so sorry for your kitty! i totally agree that her 9th life was BY FAR her best.

happy dreams to "free" cat.

If i ever become free, or feral, I will lay myself down at your doorstep...