Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Gaia

Change is good.

I may need to change my ways.

My enlightened wife and I had a romantic sushi dinner this weekend and we spent some time sipping Sake and chatting about the next chapters in our lives.
We adore spending time plotting and planning, looking ahead. We change our minds often…but generally we have the same underlying desires.
One of those desires is to be good and caring stewards of the earth.

To do this – there may be some changes. Both long term and right now.

For the short term...
It’s pretty common knowledge I spend a good deal of time, money and effort on lawn care. I’ve done a lot of research, and have a good working knowledge of how to have a fine lawn. Our lawn is a work in progress. It’s a large plot and there are always areas to tend and improve. To manipulate nature to meet my needs I use a variety of chemical enhancements.
The results can be stunning.






But at what cost.

We saw a news story over the weekend on the disappearing bee problem plaguing beekeepers around the country. One theory, which is really quite logical, is that insecticides are playing a nasty role.
Which means I am part of the problem.

This is where I need to change.
This change will not come easy to me.
I have already asked my forgiving wife not to be too disappointed if at first I fail.
Perhaps sneaking out in the middle of the night to apply crabacide by flashlight, or justifying my chemical dependency on insecticides by saying --we’ll just use up what we have now.

My heart understands that what I am doing is wrong. But will I be able to stand strong when the dandelions turn to puff balls, or will I bend like a tree in the wind (note to wear goggles when spraying trees on a windy days).

3 comments:

Zoe said...

Your lawn is gorgeous, but it could still look really nice with out using chemicals. Since you are already starting with a very thick healthy stand of grass your already out ahead. If you keep your grass tall, at the highest mower deck setting, and you keep it fertilized with organic/natural fertilizers you really shouldn't have much of a weed problem. If you can't stand the dandilions you can always spot spray them with round up before they go to seed. How drought resistant is your lawn? Next time you seed, use grasses which are drought resistant so you can cut back on watering too.

But I'm sure you already know all of this.

Oh, and I heard on NPR that they think the bee problem was caused by a virus carried by mites.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I have a beautiful lawn too (thanks to my lawn guy) - if I were to do it again, I'd go with an English style garden in front - no grass. More and more people are doing that out here, but it's California. If I did that in the Midwest, where I started, the neighbors, they'd be a'talkin'

Anonymous said...

At last, a reason to feel good about my shitty dirt yard.