Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday

tip-o-day

Every so often give your shower head a good cleaning. It's often overlooked when doing the regular bathroom scrubbing. Think of it, water sits in there all the time with no air flow to help it dry out.

You can take them down and soak them or even take them apart. You can also use a little trick I learned waaay back when we were apartment dwellers.
Take a small baggie and add some ammonia*. Fasten the baggie over the shower head with a twist tie or elastic band and leave it over night.
Rinse it well the next morning and be SURE to let the water run a bit before jumping in for your morning shower.

* remember NEVER mix ammonia and bleach or bleach products.

6 comments:

JustRex said...

Ooooooooweeeee! That would be an eye-opener in the morning!

Yikes!

eb said...

Not only will I never mix ammonia and bleach or bleach products I will never "fasten the baggie over the shower head with a twist tie or elastic band and leave it over night."

I think this is a great tip yet I will never do it.

But..I applaud you, dear weese.

Sagelands!

SassyFemme said...

We've hung the bag with Lime-A-Way, but never ammonia.

My lungs never fully recovered from our oops with ammonia and bleach many years ago. We ripped out carpet our old cat was peeing on, to have flooring put down. The flooring guys told us to clean the cement slab with bleach during their dinner break, and they'd lay the flooring down when they got back. None of us made the connection between ammonia in cat pee and bleach. I ended up really sick from it.

weese said...

wow..Sassy... even I never thought of ammonia in cat pee.
huh.

sageweb said...

But mixing beach and ammonia will give you twice the cleaning power and a great High...just kidding. I replace my shower head every year cuz I am too lazy to clean it.

clammy said...

I'm going to try the ammonia trick tonight because I just noticed this morning how disgusting the shower head was. Thanks for the tip.