Thursday, November 17, 2005

A little to the left please

oops - he missed.
My dentist.
Evidently I have a nerve just behind my jaw which controls my eye and part of my throat. When this nerve is hit, accidentally, by a large dose of novocaine - the result is a very droopy eye and the inability to swallow...or speak for that matter.
This is what happened today when I went to get my tooth fixed.
I knew right away, as it happened to me once before. I could feel my eye sag immediately. When I asked the hygenist for magazine, that's when I noticed I could not speak. The not being able to swallow thing is the scariest part. I will admit I did get a bit nervous initially. My dentist is very calming and sat with me to ease my nerves. He was willing to do the procedure anyway - but I opted out. The not swallowing thing was too freaky.
So - no dental work for me today. I almost have my voice back now, and my eye no longer looks like I have had a stroke (wish I had my digital camera on me)
but I can't really swallow yet, and almost drown on my last sip of water.
I go back tomorrow morning for another shot at it (and I mean that literally).
Lets see how that goes.

No comments: