Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This is what we asked for

My activist wife became a JP in our town last year in anticipation of Connecticut’s new civil union law. Really what she had in mind originally was to be able to perform a civil union ceremony for our dearest friends sometime next year. But guess what – the phone has been ringing with a steady stream of couples wanting to ‘unionize’. It’s very exciting. My wife gets verklempt at the each one.

Mostly it’s been couples who have been together for many years wanting to legalize their already committed relationships. Some choose to do it on their anniversary dates – this is something my wife and I are also planning to do next summer.
This past week she got a call from these two crazy kids who wanna hitch up right away. They are young and been together only a short time ( a very short time ). So of course the old fogy in me immediately starts with…they are too young, rushing too fast, not thinking ahead, planning for the future. What happened to long engagements?
Then after some ranting, I stopped, and I realized. This is what we asked for. This is the true beauty of what we asked for. A young, lustful gay couple can make the same silly mistakes as anyone else. Bless them. Bless them for making us normal.

No comments: