Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Owwweeeeeee

Clearly its time for my dentist to get a new car, or perhaps a vacation in Maui…maybe a cruise.
I have another tooth in distress. Cold, hot, pressure – everything hurts.
I have not been having good luck with these back molars of mine. They are all filled to the hilt with silver. It was all the rage back in the 60’s.
Now these huge fillings are failing one by one. Gotta give’em credit – most of them have been going strong for over 30 years. So who am I to complain really?

I have had two root canals so far. One was disastrous. I had to visit an oral surgeon. We ended up having a long relationship. On my first visit they asked if I wanted Novocain, gas or intravenous valium. I chidingly asked for all three. When I arrived at the office…they gave me all three. My, my that was pleasant. After that I tried gas and Novocain - which was nice; then I was getting so used to the procedures... just Novocain.
But after many attempts to save the tooth – I finally had to have it pulled. By many attempts I mean they kept cutting open my gum and scraping and poking around at the roots and bone in there– they call this a flap. I will give you a moment to visualize this. (Can you see why I wanted happy gas?) Then they would stitch it up and hope it healed up nicely. This just wasn’t happening so I had just had enough and was ready to live without the tooth. It’s a top-back molar with very little visibility so I have not had it replaced (the bone was so badly damaged I just couldn’t see messing around up there anymore). It pits an olive in a jiffy – so I kinda like it.

I am going to the dentist tomorrow, so he can get to the car dealership before the weekend.
Whatever the course of action I can almost guarantee it will involve Happy Gas.
Oooo I love my nitrous.
My dentist says it makes me a better patient. So much so in fact, sometimes he doesn’t even charge me for it. Happy gas is not covered by my insurance, because my insurance is clearly for hardy people who don’t need to be coddled in the dentist’s chair.
Once, last year – they turned it up waaayy too high. Wheeeeeeeee. But the hygienist noticed I was a bit over the top and adjusted me back down to earth.
O that is some good stuff.

No comments: