Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ok...let's talk about politics

well...not exactly.

I have been quite successful in avoiding news and media in general regarding the election. Tho it's not been easy and I will be glad when it's over. I will say that our wood stove is going to miss the plethora of bulk mail from our local candidates. Nice heavy stock, good fire starters.

As the election draws near I do plan to participate beyond simply casting my ballot.

We'll start our day with hitting the polls at 6 a.m. We hear the lines are going to be long - so we'll treat this pragmatically like... say... a Black Friday shopping excursion. Really most people don't get up and out as early as they say they will, so I am thinking we'll be in and out before we finish our first travel mugged cup of steaming coffee.

Then... of course we'll need to go to work. Where even I will keep an eye on the internets as reports are streaming in with polling information, lines, lies, cheats and steals.

When we arrive home from work -- we'll first start a fire... because of course we now eschew oil heat. And let me tell you - you start the fire FIRST.

Then my very excited democratic wife wants to color in the states as the results come in - yes, she wants to do this even tho they do it for you on every channel. She really likes the idea of participating. We are working up some ideas to best implement this... I'll let you know what we come up with.

We are also planning All American fare - hot dogs, apple pie, and of course beer.
The brand of beer is up for debate. Bud used to be considered a truly American beer. But with Anheuser-Busch sale to the Belgium's and its highly publicized political affiliation... well I am thinking we may need to drink a beer from the mother country instead. Hmm, perhaps a California Cabernet might be American enough.

I am excited. I hope you are too.

9 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

ROFL -- have fun with that -- Jess and I will be busy crying into our margaritas. LOL

sageweb said...

We are having a party that night..to watch the returns come in. Easier for us on the west coast. I never thought about an all american fare..that is a good idea.
We are all bringing mystery wines tho and wrapping them up and voting on the best one.

Meaner Dog said...

I kinda feel sorry for whoever gets the job. My plans are on-line poker with a cold beer. I'll probably have the tv on for background noise. The Daughter won't eat hotdogs, so vittles are still up in the air. Happy coloring.

Jen said...

Hm. Might just have to have hot dog too, Hebrew National of course, nothing more American than that! Might I suggest some Hair of the Dog microbrews? Return watching isn't for the faint of heart and nothing says 'Heck Yeah America' like a microbrew!

Hm. Maybe you can't get Hair of the Dog over there....in that case, maybe some Rogue beer, American Amber perhaps?

LostInColor said...

That sounds yummy! I haven't have a hotdog all year!!!! oh and I love to color! :)

chapin said...

I might have to call for an update. If I could get my hands on a Yingling I'd raise a glass. Any chance you and your color loving wife could ship some to the midwest?

SassyFemme said...

I'm hoping we hit the polls right when they open, and then head out to breakfast someplace before going to work.

I think you two should come up with some kind of red and blue drinks to enjoy as each state is called red/blue.

teeveezed said...

Idea for colouring in the map; get a sheet of plastic film and put it over the map, buy some markers, outline the states, colour in as you hear the results. When finished, throw away plastic and re-use map and markers. I use the kind of plastic that librarians use to cover books, but that is just me.

Zoe said...

How about a nice American micro-brew?

I don't really think the lines are going to be any worse than normal on election day. I think a lot of the problem with early voting, at least in my town, was that the computer network to check voter registration wasn't set up, so they had to call in and verify each voter. I could be wrong, but I don't expect to wait longer than an hour to vote.