Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Houston...

ok so here's the problem.

It seems the FREE dog has decided after 7 years of being on her best indoor behavior - that our furniture is her new cozy spot to sleep.
She has never been allowed on the furniture, and has never shown a desire to be there.
So now...why... after 7 years?

For example, my animal loving wife and I went upstairs Sunday night at around 10:30 expecting to get into our bed with freshly washed flannel sheets.
As my sleepy wife rounded the corner into our room - all I heard was "uh-o".

It seems that not only had the FREE dog napped in our fresh sheets, but evidently also had an upset stomach at the time.

I realize it is times like this when it's most important to remain in a calm state of acceptance. I understand that my reaction will not in any way change or remedy the situation. And so as I surveyed the damaged, I paused and drew in a deep cleansing breath...
I found this breath quite useful when I let it out... screaming obscenities at the dog.
O well.

Ok so ... we'll close the bedroom door - ALL the time. Easy enough.

We have also discovered that she has been sleeping on the sofa. Also a no-no.
Since we cannot close off the living room, we have been putting 'things' on the furniture before we leave for work in the morning.
Yesterday I put an ottoman and a small table on the sofa.

Last evening after work I saw this:
Notice the precarious tilt to the ottoman. I found this curious.

Upon closer inspection...


We have a problem.

12 comments:

Landlady of Fat said...

Ah well our not-so-free dog actually KICKS US OFF THE COUCH when she's ready for bed.

She will be all over you until you leave.

Our not-so-forbidden-from-the-couch-(JESS!) dog leaves paw prints on the couch.

Your not-so-amused-commenter tried all kinds of blockage.

Our not-so-obedient-dog avoids them.

I give up. LOL

maxine said...

Sounds like the FREE dog is finally domesticated...could it be that as she doesn't eat dog food she has finally figured out she is not a dog?

sageweb said...

Wow my dog lets me on the couch and my bed. he scoots over a bit to give me room...not without an audible sigh..as if I am bothering him. I have leather furniture tho, and duvets on the bed that get changed every sunday.

DawgDyke said...

I would invest in blankets .. unless you invest in a wire kennel ..

She finally figured out the bed & couch is much more comfortable that the floor ..

Meaner Dog said...

Free dog's what, 49 now? Free dog's old bones need something comfortable.

LostInColor said...

I posted a picture of my dog sleeping on the couch just a couple of days ago. I used to have the no dogs on couch rule...but gave up.

Lachlan said...

How old is FREE DOG? Older than 7yrs? I wonder if she has a little arthritis and it's too cold on the floor.

SassyFemme said...

Maybe FREE dog is asking for some doggy furniture to keep herself warm?

Molly's not allowed on the furniture either, but we know she gets on the bed and the couch when we're not home.

Syd said...

There's no problem. You just need to adjust to her rules.

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of those little couch cover pads would work? Maybe she's getting arthritic or something. I dunno. If my two dogs get to the couch or bed before me I just kind of scootch them over to make room. I wash the linens a lot and use masking tape on the couch.

Heather said...

Is it wrong that I'm totally siding with the dog?

Anonymous said...

I am totally with the dog on this one. The one thing you should keep an eye on though is the free dog's health, one of the first signs of an unwell pet, is they start sleeping in places they didn't used to. But it could be that the doggie is just cold or arthritic. Try a heated dog bed.