Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Part of the problem could be that I am currently reading 'Walden' --
but here's what happened.


I was sitting in a Dr.'s office waiting room yesterday afternoon, thumbing through a magazine. The magazine I picked up was some 'home-ish' type rag with a picture of a cute, but pricey lakehouse cottage on the front.

Who doesn't love a lakehouse cottage?

I started to read the cover article about the happy, happy family pictured in their cute, but pricey lakehouse cottage. The pictures showed their happy, happy children carrying around a top of the line but gently used kayak, and their adorable Labrador dog lapping their happy faces and scampering around the finely manicured yard. The article talked about how these folks built their house to look historic and renovated... rather than like new construction. It mentioned how they left the open rafters on the second floor to gain that rustic look. I wondered, only briefly, what climate they might be in... but didn't have much time to ponder over that because I was quickly bombarded with pictures of their o so Pottery Barn interior, interestingly showing that happy Labrador in almost every shot (hmm, no visible dog hair on the floor). My climate question was eventually answered however, when it was mentioned that this happy, happy family only stays in this house during the warm summer months. They retreat to their winterized home down the street for the rest of the year.

That's when I put the magazine down and picked up National Geographic.

Something so seemingly innocent.
Cute little pictures of a cute little lake cottage...
Tell me, what is the percentage of people who can actually afford that lake cottage - nevermind afford it as a second home.

And so it is further ingrained in our sheep like brains -- we WANT it, we NEED it. We will be HAPPY if we have this, and so will our family, and our dog.
My poor, poor dog... o dear.

Over and over, on TV, in magazines, in advertisements we are trained to want more. We are convinced that these are the things that bring us true joy.

And if you are EVEN thinking of commenting that you like to read these magazines just for decorating ideas and such ...think again.

My point is that exactly.

That's precisely how they get the average person to read these magazines. They know you can't afford this cottage. But clearly you can apply some of these great ideas to your own home!
Because then people.. you will be happy.
And your mutt will become a Labrador but will not shed, and your children will do well in school, and they will love you unconditionally - even through their teen years, and your marriage will improve and your sex life will be better than you can imagine.

13 comments:

Meaner Dog said...

Until one day, the stuff they have not longer does it for them. So, they have to get more stuff to feel good about themselves.

sageweb said...

If a magazine is going to improve my sex life ...I am so reading it.

alter rigo said...

I'm crazy stressing at the moment. I need stuff.

Jen said...

If my sex life improved, I think my head would explode. That's why I don't read those magazines, I can't handle the rapture.
;)

eb said...

Who can afford it as a second home? A thie... I mean, probably some CEO who just got bailed out with 850 billion dollars of our money.

Hey, I think this post constitutes a bit of a rant. It's rant-ish. You're so cute when you rant.

When you get done reading Walden you simply must post about your 'ant watching.'

The Guy Who Writes This said...

I find it alarming that the Sex Life section of the post is illustrated with a photo of a sheep...just sayin

LostInColor said...

my dog just started shedding out her summer coat. what a mess!

chapin said...

I want more Walden!! I make my children read a few pages of him and they just D.I.E. Love the sheep...looks like a long lost friend of mine. Some of my neighbors have goats here in the big city so they don't have to mow. Seeing the sheep reminded me of the goats. Thanks for making me laugh at your rant.

SassyFemme said...

LOL @ Guy's observation.

Anonymous said...

I want a sheep now.

dykewife said...

cool! all i need now is a dog. well, that and a first house. ok, that and a job that will pay the mortgage on the first house while we save for the cabin house to use only a few months of the year.

Butch Boo said...

Hey! What's wrong with sheep?! Or am I going wrong somewhere?!!

Val said...

i can't see the sheep.
But I'm with EB... only Weese can rant and it come out so calm. Zen ranting - - LOVE IT!