Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday

tip-o-day

Some of products I use on the lawn require watering in. We have a pretty big yard so getting out the hose and sprinkling the lawn is really not an option.

In the case of grub control - I like to get that watering in right away. I don't like the idea of the chemical sitting there for too long.

So to keep the environment as safe as I can under such circumstances*, I spread the materials before an expected rain shower.

For quick results, I like to begin spreading just as the rain is starting.
To do this I simply fill the hopper of my broadcast spreader and cover the top with a piece of foil. My gourmet wife keeps the large size foil around to cover her large baking pans - this fits perfectly over my spreader. You can also use saran warp or even a garbage bag.

Toss on a rain hat and some tall rubber boots to complete the look.



Try you're best not to apply the product when very heavy rains are expected. Not only can this be harmful to plants and wildlife but you will simply waste your money as your product washes away.



*I do generally recommend natural grub control methods - such as Milky Spore. But for this size yard in the current economy it's a bit cost prohibitive.

4 comments:

e said...

Yay! A tip of the day!

KMae said...

good one.

Teresa said...

I do so like that your voiced concern about conducting this activity in heavy rains is the safety of plants, wildlife, and product. What about you, bracing against said storm with only your rain hat and rubber boots for protection?

Also, can I get a picture of you in said gear?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do think we need a pic of you in this outfit.