Monday, August 31, 2009

sunday afternoon

I haven’t blogged this before… and I only do so now really so that I can tell you a story where its relevance will matter.

My mom is sick. She has cancer… as oh so many do. My mom’s cancer cannot be cured. And so we move through these days and months in treatment, in limbo… in life.

She was diagnosed in March – and one of her great hopes was to make it to football season.
And here we are.
Tho I fear she will take the news of B ruschi’s r*tirement worse than her own diagnosis... we are poised and ready to take in another Patriots season - in hi-def of course.


Every year here in southern Connecticut a group of motorcyclists get together to do a charity ride for 9/11.
By ‘a group’ I mean over a thousand of them.
I’ve blogged about this before… and we try to be there every year to cheer them on.
It’s really quite moving.


We like to toss some lawn chairs in the car and head over to Main Street in our town to watch. As soon as we see the riders I will call my mom who lives in the next town over in a retirement community right on the riders route. She then makes sure all the old folks from the village are out by the road in time.

This year however, not sure if it was the timing or perhaps we were too busy, maybe it wasn’t well advertised– we were unaware of the date of the ride.

Yesterday mom was resting in her recliner and watching some afternoon TV. Chemo leaves her rather wiped out for a couple days, and so her recliner is her weekend pal.
When the sound of some loud motorcycles came she waited impatiently for them to pass so she could hear her show.
But there were more… and more… and it didn’t stop.

She went to the door.
There were more…
It slowly dawned on her what was going on.

She realized no one from the village knew - no one was out there to cheer them on.

And so … pale, tired, shaky and little nauseous – she went out the door and slowly made her way across the lawn - to the curb.
There she stood all by herself… waving, tears streaming, completely moved by the sight of those thousand motorcycles.

12 comments:

Jesse said...

Weese, I'm so sorry to hear that your mother is sick. Picturing her there alone routing them onbrought me to tears. Thank you for sharing this.

Landlady of Fat said...

I love the picture I see in my mind.

Thanks for sharing this :)

And I'm sorry as well.

alter rigo said...

go, weeses mom.

grab life by the horns and hold on for as long as u can.

Trop said...

~sniff.

KMae said...

I am so sorry for what she has to go thru. This football season will be extra great, but bittersweet for you.

About the story...
Damn!

Val said...

sniff indeed... will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
Quite the picture you painted, my friend.

Anonymous said...

NEXT year, we'll arrange for her to be part of the ride!

Trish said...

go mom!

the pictures I'm seeing in my mind are of a strong woman, detoured by disease and treatment, but willing herself to go out and enjoy, despite her condition.

chemo involves a lot of people, but she is the ultimate one to fight this battle. that solitary woman, sitting on the curb, waving, crying and enjoying is the ultimate vision of what fighting cancer is all about.

Booo-Yah! Go Mom!

e said...

I heart your mom!

(surreptitiously wiping my eyes at my desk)

Anonymous said...

Your mom is simply amazing!

Holding good thoughts for her on the cancer journey.

otter said...

awww, cool Mom. Sorry she is so ill.

Teresa said...

I wish I lived nearby; I could offer her a ride on the back of my motorcycle on a good day, when she's feeling up to it and wants to feel the wind on her face.

Hugs to (((weese and mom)))