Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday

tip-o-day

One of the first times I saw Martha Stewart on television she was sitting at the bottom of a swimming pool tiling it with old cut up credit cards. This was supposed to be a clever way to re-use them.

Well I don't have a swimming pool, but they are plastic - and I really don't like to toss out plastic before it's had a couple of go arounds.

So we have a drawer full of old plastic cards.

I found they are very useful when refinishing furniture. I use them instead of a putty knife when stripping off the old finish. They have just the right stiffness and flexibility. And clean up is a breeze - just toss them with no guilt, at least you've gotten a second use out of them.

7 comments:

sageweb said...

That is a good tip to use old ones...I usually reach for one in my wallet and then end up srewing it up.

maxine said...

Also good scraping ice off the windows in a pinch, what with cassette cases going the way of the dinosaurs.

dykewife said...

if i have enough credit cards to cut up and tile the bottom of a pool, then i've got waaaaaaaay too many of them.

i love your idea though. the plastic wouldn't mar the wood like metal can. excellent. i'll remember that if i ever have to strip any furniture.

LostInColor said...

Great tip. I have used my budget rental card for scraping off ice on a window. But it was a rental car, and they didn't include an ice scraper!

Anonymous said...

Martha Stewart, there are just no words for how asinine she is.

Your idea is a good one though, so cheers!

clammy said...

I think I saw on her show once a spot about "How to break into a house using a credit card."

Martini Cartwheels said...

Please tell me you are kidding about what Martha was doing. That would take about 20 years to complete although I'm sure Martha could get her assistants to do it in 10. Great tip by the way.