Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday

tip-o-day

In my basement workshop I have several boxes, drawers, pegboards and shelves to hold tools and supplies. I generally organize these items by use. For example, one of my tool boxes is for electrical/wiring sorts of work, and I have a separate tool box for small hand tools.

So when I have a job around the house or yard which will require items from different disciplines, I use one of these:


Now, a tool caddy alone is not breaking news, but what's a little different about my method is that rather than using the caddy to store tools or cleaning supplies - I like to use mine on a per project basis. That way I can load the specific tools I will need from several categories. Perhaps I am going to run a new phone jack - so I know that in addition to the phone jack itself I'll need a sheetrock saw, a stud finder, probably some string and a weight, maybe a band aid or a tourniquet, also mine is big enough to hold a drill or small saw... You get the idea.

I like these caddies better than the buckets because they are shallow, making it easier to see inside, and to scoop nails or screws out of the bottom.

While I am at my job site I can also toss bits of wood or bent nails and spent screws in one of the sections to be disposed of during clean up.

When I am done (this part is key) I take it back down to the workshop and unload all the items back into their spots so that its empty and ready to go.
That way, once the bleeding stops, I can refill it with a whole different set of tools and be on my way.

6 comments:

LostInColor said...

Thats a great tip. What if you have multiple never ending projects going?

Meaner Dog said...

You mean you don't rummage through everything in the garage cussing like a sailor because you can't find what you're looking for? My method quickly reminds me that it's time for a beer. :)

Anonymous said...

The bandage or torniquet is pure genius.

Val said...

pretty color blue.

Lee said...

those work great for art supplies too :)

SassyFemme said...

Giggling at the tourniquet idea.

Those caddies really do come in handy. We used one for cleaning supplies when we lived in SA. Not sure what happened to it since I don't remember using it here.