Monday, August 11, 2008

Go World





"The most important thing is not to win but to take part!".
--De Coubertin


Have you been watching the Olympics?
We have. We started Friday night with the opening ceremonies. We love the opening ceremonies. It is essential to have a globe nearby…. and cocktails… and in this case – take out Chinese. Hey… its close.
These ceremonies were absolutely spectacular, and watching the athletes arrive in the National Stadium had us all kinds of vaklempt.

Unfortunately, I have heard several times over the weekend folks saying they are boycotting the Olympics. People –do you really think that by not turning on your TV you will make a difference in the screwed up politics of China… um yeah… that sounds just like an American.

But really – what are you boycotting… the athletes.

Thousands of young people (well some…not so young) from around the world train sometimes their whole lives just to participate in these games. These hard working incredibly fit people don’t pick their venue. They just show up where they are told to go. How sad for them that after all their hard work you won’t turn the TV on because you don’t approve of the host countries policies.
Their moment of glory and you are watching Big Brother, or Dancing with the Stars.

Take for example Soraya Haddad of Algeria. Have you ever heard of her? Do you know she Bronzed in Judo yesterday? She picked up the sport when she was just 11, because her brothers did it. She says that her parents have been the most influential people in her career.

What about Dina Gorina from Baku, Azerbaijan? She is competing in Rhythmic Gymnastics. She may not even make it to the top 20 with the highly competitive American, Chinese and Romania teams. But this is her shining moment. She will tell her children this magical story of traveling to China to participate in the most amazing competition with athletes from all over the world. And her children will be proud. As are her parents. As is her country.

But you… no…you are watching repeats of CSI.
That’ll show those Chinese.

16 comments:

Jen said...

I am with you. The acheivement of these athletes is independant of where the global community decides to hold the competition.

We can best vote with our dollars. Which can be harder than it sounds...

SassyFemme said...

Weese, this post is just one more example of the many reasons why Fran and I just adore you (and your wife)!

We've been watching every day, both on the computer and on the TV, and recording what we're not awake to see. I also set up text message reminders for certain things I want to be sure to see.

Our sports of choice are:
- gymnastics
- diving
- basketball
- table tennis
- volleyball (beach and indoor)
- trampoline
- swimming
- synchronized swimming

We've also found ourselves watching water polo and badminton, and I'm sure a few others will catch our eyes before it's all over.

Middle Girl said...

Here, here.

weese said...

Hey Sassy...didja check out the girls basketball team...can you say UCONN! ha!

maxine said...

I still maintain there is nothing interesting on tv at the moment, Olympics included.

Meaner Dog said...

I haven't been watching the olympics. Shame on me. Kind of been busy with life...no TV time. Good post. Good point. My favorite are the Winter Olympics, and while I am usually rallying for US athletes, my admiration goes to all of them...winners and losers, no matter the country.

Zoe said...

You lost me at the oping quote. I don't understand what it meant by it's not important to win. What?

I don't get boycotting the olympics either. It just doesn't make sense. And if I did boycott, I'd be missing all those HOT swimmers, and for what.

Trop said...

I'm watching the games, all day and night, in fact, on the direct TV channels. Amanda and I are especially loving the soccer channel.

I had no interest in watching the opening ceremonies. And I didn't.

j said...

I love the games - and the opening ceremony was one of the, if not THE coolest thing I've ever seen on tv.

SassyFemme said...

Hell yes we watched the women's game! 8:00 AM this morning we were glued to the TV, yelling at it, cheering them on, and just loving it. Yeah on CT and SEC. We were SEC fans (especially TN) before moving here. :)

Maria said...

Liv and I had the most fun time watching women's water polo for the first time yesterday. I am loving the Olympics.

Martini Cartwheels said...

I've been watching as well. I too feel it is important to support the athletes even though I am not thrilled with the host country. I can't even imagine how thrilling it must be just to compete.

LostInColor said...

I am watching what I can. I love the olympics, and always watch.

eb said...

I have my leverage. We can get rid of the tv.

sageweb said...

Great Post! I agree with you 100%

maxine said...

no, eb...we can get rid of the crappy digital cable and keep the tv for dvd viewing...