Monday, August 04, 2008

stepford lesbians

We went to the library the other night.
I haven't been to the library ...hmm... geez.. since Ferris was pretty small, so over a dozen years I would imagine.
My eager wife and I were very excited. We decided to walk. It's a perfect walk, just over a mile and pretty hilly.
We were going to the libary to get books -- for free. And we weren't even going to use any gas. The whole thing was incredibly Stepford. And we were thrilled.
Our town library is brand-spankin' new (we've got the tax bill to prove it). I don't remember how many millions it cost, but it was several of 'em.


Welp, let me tell you - this new library is ... opulent. Two floors, lots of open space, fine furnishings, plush carpets and marble bathrooms.

Now - does a library really need to be opulent. I think not.
What a libary needs is books - and this library is sorrily short of those.
I stood looking at the rows of books and thought Borders at the mall puts this place to shame.
This is a picture from their website. Those 5 or 6 rows of shelves to the left there is the fiction section. The WHOLE section. I know some people who have more books than that.Notice those columns... they are everywhere. I bet you could buy a hundred books for the price of one of those.

I think they could have easily cut the building budget by a million or so and spent it on the books instead. If they had as many books as Borders they might get a better turn out than the 7 or 10 folks we saw there that night.

They did install a entire fleet of computers. This... in a town where most homes have as many computers as they do occupants. They all sat darkly except for one or two.

I was dissapointed. Several of the books I looked up in their online catalog were not available.

We did end up checking out one book each, tho I imagine if we go regularly we'll get through their entire collection this winter.
Unfortunately, to read many of the books that are on my list - I will have to go to Borders and buy them. And we'll have to drive to get there. :(


10 comments:

Val said...

um... perhaps the image of Monroe is not about reading????!!! How sad.

Fairfield has a beautiful new library AND a nice branch one, too! ALL FULL OF BOOKS! :) It's not that far... and your card will be accepted at our libraries.

LostInColor said...

stepford lesbians. funny. Our libraries around here are lacking in books as well. but at least the 3 of them are chained together. Our buildings aren't even close to posh tho.

Middle Girl said...

I'm pretty happy with our town's library (& 2 branches) as far as books and other selections are concerned. I have noticed that the builidings are louder these days.

Apparently there are now noise zones, red, yellow and green. I much of my visit in the green zones.

Those columns are impressive. ;)

SassyFemme said...

It looks like our libraries had the same architect. Ours just reopened after a major remodel.

Anonymous said...

One of the branch libraries here in Alexandria, VA is wonderful. They have a great website to keep up with what books you have checked out, when they're due and you can renew online. You can also put books that are checked out in a "que" and they'll leave you a voice mail when it comes in for you. There are always tons of people using the computers and reading books there.

I've probably read fifteen or more books in the past few months from the library.

Maybe yours will have more books soon!!

Meaner Dog said...

We have numerous libraries here in Plano. I haven't seen one as swanky as yours, but then again I haven't been to all of them. Our's have a wealth of books; many of them were donated by the residents. We also have the on-line catalog with all the bells and whistles. It comes in quite handy for school projects, but often I end up having to purchase what I'm wanting for myself from Borders simply because they have all been checked out. Lot's of folks in our libraries. Also, our local Borders took out all the comfy couches and chairs because people would sit in there for hours reading, and then return the books to the shelves without purchasing. Bummer!

Jen said...

We have a fabu library system here in Gay ol' Seattle. But our favorite library deal? DVDs! We get all our movies from the library and don't pay a penny...unless we forget to return it, but we get to check it out for 2 weeks at a time and renew online if no one else is waiting for it. AND they share between branches, so we can go online, reserve and pick it up when it arrives! I love Love LOVE it. Right now, we have 'The other Boleyn girl', 'Be kind, rewind' and 'Arrested Development:Season 2'!

Do I sound excited? Or just cheap?

weese said...

we were excited about the DVD's too.
the selection is... well not so much.
My wife noticed tho that they have aLOT of vhs tapes stil.

maxine said...

Make sure you ask about Inter Library Loan. Our library has it available so you can make requests online. That's right...go ahead and look...right now...from work...

I have already used iy to request several out of print lesbian fiction titles as well as out of print knitting books. And it has been pretty effective.

sageweb said...

I havent been in a library since my teen age years...I actually dont even know where one is at. I am sad.