Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Reality is not on TV

People - it's a show. It's entertainment. It is not real and never will be. If you think you are watching something real - you need to get out of the house more often.

I abhor reality TV. It's why I liked the LWord right from the start -- when you were all complaining about how UNreal it was -- that's exactly its allure. That's what makes it entertainment. Because I don't live in a town where my UPS delivery person is a hot 20 something who will most likely sleep with me every time I get a package. I am watching to be entertained.

My latest rant is based on a commercial I saw just last night for the yet more crap in the reality genre.
Loosely -- it's about millionaires disguising themselves as regular folk and hanging out with poor people. In the end, they reveal themselves and give away piles of money they apparently don't really need. Everyone cries - fade to commercial.

If you even think the word philanthropist I may have to slap you.

Philanthropy is the act of donating money, goods, services, time and/or effort to support a socially beneficial cause, with a defined objective and with no financial or material reward to the donor.


How can giving be altruistic when 10 million people are watching you do it. Applauding you. Thinking how great you are.

Don't misunderstand. I am not advocating the anonymous donor. There is nothing wrong with helping someone and actually seeing the appreciation in their eyes and feeling the warmth of their hug. Even telling the story to a friend - no harm in that.
But in front of a viewing audience... cue the crying.
Because people - this is just sad.

5 comments:

Val said...

i'm with you, my friend.

I do watch some of these reality shows sometimes, but continue to wonder just how sad does one's life have to be, to allow themselves be put out there marketed as 'entertainment' to be ridiculed by society.

Just.plain.sad

Landlady of Fat said...

Phuck that! Is he coming to Fairfield?

Teresa said...

I do need to get out of the house more often…

But…did anyone you know get married today? I know there isn't quite the, um, sense of urgency over there, but you know how the gays like to call "first!"

weese said...

I don't know anyone personally who got married today. But my wife the JP got two calls this evening to do ceremonies!
And Teresa, no matter what happens - you will always be married in my eyes. :)

dykewife said...

i watch cop shows, not the mystery types, but the real ones with real cops working on real cases. does that make it reality tv? i think so because there is no scripting, just editing. ok, sometimes the cops ham it up a bit, but for the most part it's the real deal. real cops, real crimes, real offenders, real victims and real consequences. a show that shows that violence might well mean that that person won't get up, brush themselves off and move on to the next role.

but i don't watch survivor, big brother, american can dance, american (or canadian) idol, the bachelor, the bachelorette, or any of those others.

i prefer real, real.